Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Small long arm >

Small long arm

Small long arm

Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Small long arm

I am tired of pin basting, glue basting, using boards, etc. to baste my quilt tops. It might be time to get a machine to use for quilting that takes away the basting step. I know nothing about mid arms, long arms etc. what is the smallest quilting machine that uses rollers for your layers so you can skip the pre-basting. I am trying to save room and money. A stitch regulator would be a great thing, too. I hope this question makes sense!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:44 AM
yel

the innova comes in 3 different lengths of rollers but you know how it is go big or go home
Old 03-10-2013, 12:04 PM

the length of the rollers is the width of your quilt that you can do. not the length of the machine. if you keep the rollers short, you can only do that width, be it child, lap or twin. For years, i could quilt only to up to a twin which was fustrating until I got a new frame. I love being able to quilt a queen.

Now as to the length of the head, that determins how much area you will quilt in before having to roll again. You will lose about 3" for the take up roll. Thus, If you have a 16" head, you can quilt in 13" of space, an 18" will give you 15". Don't get a frame that holds a domestic machine. If you do, you will only have about 8" or less of quilting space that is not worth the space in the room.

If you are short on space in the room and dont want to roll your quilt so much to get it under your machine, look into a sit down model. HQ and Sunshine 16 both offer sit down versions with a 16" head. It will work like your machine but not have to roll so tight to get it under the needle. of course, with these you will still need to sandwich your quilt in some manner.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

Isn't small longarm an oxymoron? Kind of like giant shrimp?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:50 PM

jeank,
What kind of machine do you use to quilt?
Thanks.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Isn't small longarm an oxymoron? Kind of like giant shrimp?
That made me laugh!!! thank you
Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM

My HQ 16 could be different widths depending on how you put it together, as each pole [I think] is 4 ft long or so. That is the rollers. The width of the thing is about 4 ft but it takes more space if you have to get around it for panos.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 AM

First of all you have to decide if you have room for a quilt frame. They come in all sizes from twin to king size. Mine is 12 feet long from end to end. Check out the Grace Company to see their frames and get some ideas of what is available. They have them in wood and metal. Then you have to decide how much you can afford for a machine. It has to be a machine that allows you to drop the feed dogs and it should have a stitch regulator. Also it needs to be compatible with the frame you choose.
I quilt with a standard size sewing machine so when I have a quilt loaded I only have approx. 5" of quilting space (times the length of the quilt). If this is okay with you, then you can use a standard size machine. If you want more quilting space then you need to get a machine with a longer throat (the distance from the needle to the body of the machine.)
Hope this helps!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by TeresaS View Post
That made me laugh!!! thank you
Me too! Too cute!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:54 PM

I would recommend Nolting machines. They make all sizes, from the Fun Quilter (various sizes) to professional models with a 30" throat. Definitely make sure you have plenty of room....the table size will determine the size of quilts you can load, and Nolting can make really any size you need. Can't say enough good about their customer service. Was just at there shop today, in fact, and traded up to a 24" Pro model. Love the staff there...extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Check out their website at www.nolting.com

Christine