Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ikea sewing machine >

Ikea sewing machine

Ikea sewing machine

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31 PM

Default Ikea sewing machine

At home I have a Janome horizon sewing machine which I love, but I need a small cheap machine to take to class or out into the garden, I love the look and price of the ikea machine and wondered if any of you have one.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM

I don't go to ikea so no help. I have just purchased a cheap machine from create and craft on tv. Have you seen Jennie Rayment on a Sunday doing her classes and selling equipment. Usually a set ot cheaper prices or put together purchases. I purchased the viking HjCLASS 100 not exactly correct name, it was on offer witha extension table and could purchase in 3 payments. Go on line and have a look. Sunday start800am . Good web site with other activities.
How are you with the wild boars do you have trouble. PM for more info or chat. Are you going to Malvern?
Just read post below and info on machine. I would look on gumtree for a small feather weight. 221 is straight stitch and back . 222 does a zig zag. But you should look at local shops and see if the dealers have recons or ex demo. Make sure you try before buy. Preloved another site. When I see something I want it is usually in your area or Scotland.

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 05-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 PM

There's quite an extensive review here, but bear in mind it's by a non-sewer. The comment about the foot pedal struck me.
Personally, I'd look for a used machine on Gumtree. My 'little' Janome (I have a Pfaff as my main machine) that I take to class weighs about the same as the Jem.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 AM

Just looking at the picture of the machine on the link provided, it seems to have a very small throat. If all you are using it for is piecing, that would not be a problem. But if you intend to do any quilting other than QAYG it looks like that might be difficult.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM

ikea stuff is junk
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
ikea stuff is junk
Really? I've been quite happy with most of my Ikea purchases. I've seen the sewing machine in the store but haven't bought it. We have a computer table, dish drainer, stool with pneumatic lift, many kitchen gadgets and mats, and such and have enjoyed all of them. Not to mention the swedish pancakes!! My son did his new kitchen in Ikea cabinets and they are really nice and sturdy. I'm wondering what bad luck you have had. By the way, I am a Brother lover too. I did see the Dreamweaver and maybe one day will get it.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM

I too have had great luck with Ikea. I've never had a bad experience with the quality of Ikea products. I haven't seen the sewing machine. I'd probably prefer to buy a machine from a dealer but only because I like the support they give. If you try the Ikea machine, please let us know how you like it.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM

I understand ikea is well known in europe
Old 05-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Will they let you try the machine out in the store? I would recommend that, so you can see how it feels. If you are interested in a Singer FW, I recommend that you contact Graham Forsdyke, who is in the UK. You are guaranteed that any machine you purchase from Graham will be in excellent condition.

http://singerfeatherweight221links.b...3/httpwww.html
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
ikea stuff is junk
Ikea is NOT heirloom furniture, but I've gotten some great things there. Bookshelves and great organizers for the kitchen and sewing room. Daughters have both furnished their apts with Ikea, and it's held up through several moves apiece. Several friends have redone their kitchens and baths with Ikea and they are very happy with it. Haven't seen the sewing machine ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 05-08-2013 at 09:12 AM.