Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I did not realize that I was following a dress code >

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

I did not realize that I was following a dress code

Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

LOL Tshirt, jeans or jean shorts, sandals or socks N tennis shoes. Yeppers same, every day . even when I go to work .. Collared shirts, black pants.. LOL habits are hard to break!LOL
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
Can't remember the last time I wore pantyhose! I always wear shoes I slip on, tennies and all.... Wearing capris or long jeans, I must be with the "in" crowd. : )
I can remember the last time I wore pantyhose and a dress. It was a little over a year ago when my daughter got her masters degree. It was an outdoor ceremony and the weather got hot. The minute it was over I found a lady's room and wiggled out of those hose and then, to disencumber my purse, I stuffed them in the glove box. I forgot about them, and discovered them again six months later when it was time to renew our registration. It's a good thing I remembered it was I who put them there, because it was my husband's vehicle!
Old 06-09-2013, 02:15 PM

Capris and cotton button up camp shirts in summer; changed to jeans in the winter. I have to wear 100% cotton because of allergies and being cotton, everything has to be ironed. I've learned to do it quickly!!! At home, I sometimes wear my pjs as I live alone or I have some cute swing type zip front "robes" that I can walk outside in...my grandson asked me why I wear my robe all day. I explain that it's not really a robe!! LOL

I had to go dress shopping for my grandson's wedding and boy, I hated it!!! I mostly ordered on line to try on at home. I did go to one store to try on and actually found the dress on sale!! Yeah, me! Then I HAD to buy pantyhose since my legs aren't tanned enough yet! Boy, did I hate that!! And dressy shoes!! But flats of course. Most of my shoes are dressy loafer style as I usually wear dress pants when I "dress up"! I hadn't worn a dress in years!!! Then I got to the wedding and the 2 other grandmothers wore dressy pants outfits!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM

I dress like that while shopping. I have nice clean clothes on though, and no body parts sticking out. I miss the days when people used to "dress" for dinner. I'll go to a higher end restaurant and sit near people with tank tops and flip-flops. I don't want to look at their hairy arm-pits or hairy toes and dirty feet, lol!

I really miss being able to dress up for a date, and have heels still in the box, because I would be over-dressed if I wore a dress or skirt and some nice heels! Of course, this date would be with my DH of 35 yrs. Still! I would be fun to be able to dress up. It would be great to look at other couples that are attractive.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
pardon me if I seem out of place here, but even though I no longer work, I still make the effort to look put together. I take time to iron my slacks - I love a sharp crease. My blouses are not saved 'for good' because everyday I feel I deserve to be wearing 'good'. When I'm dressed nicely, I feel good and I walk straight and tall and 'with a purpose'. And I find people just treat me better than when, on very rare occasions, I'm dressed too casually. At nearly 61 years old and 46 pounds lighter than this time last year, I have learned I am worth the effort to look my best.
I agree with you...I dress and wear makeup every day, too. I wear heels also- don't own a pair of sneakers. It makes me feel better and gives you a different attitude. I know my husband appreciates it, too!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:09 PM

jhoward,
I last wore pantyhose when I got married 35 years ago. I usually wear shorts/capris in the summer months along with a t-shirt or cotton blouse and my New Balance running shoes.
Sharon
Old 06-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Power Poster

I wear denim pants w/a bit of stretch. Blousey tops all year around. Running type shoes or tennis type shoes. My left foot is not in good shape, whatever feels good for me. I work in an office and seldom see anyone but workers. I do not wear men's Ts and never did. I dress to suit myself.
Whatever floats your boat is the best for each one.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM

you go girl!!!

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
T-shirt with jeans in summer (too many mosquitoes for shorts, I'm a mosquito magnet). Sweats in winter. I've found that as I get older, I dress for my comfort, if anyone doesn't like it, they don't have to look. I still cringe when I think of the high heels of my younger days. I have to say that I quit all that and cut my hair to my liking when I divorced my first dh 40 some-odd years ago. My current (and forever) dh likes me just fine the way I am.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Oh Rose Marie, I can so identify with the tight v necks and sleeves that hit the middle of upper arm (or lower in my case.) Last night we went to visit long-time friends of 35 years for dinner. She is in her sixties, younger than my 72, and weighs about 100 lbs. or less. It was so hot that I wore in public (well to her house anyway) a sleeveless top and white stretch jeans that someone gave my daughter. I felt so comfortable for the first time in a long time by not wearing some kind of coverup for my arms. And you know what, my skinny friend loves me just the way I am. Dear Daughter says I need to embrace who I am and stop worrying about the wings on my arms. I'd be afraid to lose weight because the skin on my under arms would probably hang down to my knees. So I embraced myself and felt ok about it. Still probably not in public though.

Originally Posted by Rose Marie View Post
Im 73 and have never been a fan of high heels. My feet are in very good shape.
My biggest gripe right now is about tee shirts. They have big necklines and very short sleeves. Not good for older women. I want tight v necks and sleeves that hit the middle of my upper arm.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:05 AM

Gosh, I am with casual dressers all the way! Loved reading all the replies to this thread. As a short person, I wore heels to make myself look taller and I paid for it with surgeries on BOTH feet. As soon as I retired, I gave all my good suits and dresses to the Dress for Success charity without a backward look. Don't miss them one bit, and I dress for comfort as well as nice looks...nice casuals when I go to quilt guild meetings, etc. T-shirts and comfy jeans at home. I no longer wear heels and it is wonderful.