Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts >

Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I think a summer quilt might be a nice change for the summer, where you don't want anything too warm or heavy to sleep under. I'm liking that idea and maybe I might try making one for my bed, as I have to have something to cover me, even in the summer.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Alright, now we've got some good feedback here about 2 layer quilts...

would someone please post a picture of one? I am puzzled about how they look after they are quilted, and whether the piecing seams show through and look a little lumpy on the back side when the quilt is spread out. Are they very flat?
Thanks!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:32 PM

Default Carpenters Star backed with flannel, no batting.

Sue, here is my Carpenters Star backed with flannel, no batting. I did not get a picture of the back tho. My son loves this quilt. He has put it on his bed. makes me feel good that he has claimed it lol. You can see the quilting on the black tho. I am currently working on a tumbler quilt, testing with fleece. Will let everyone know how it goes with the fleece.

Originally Posted by SueSew View Post
Alright, now we've got some good feedback here about 2 layer quilts...

would someone please post a picture of one? I am puzzled about how they look after they are quilted, and whether the piecing seams show through and look a little lumpy on the back side when the quilt is spread out. Are they very flat?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails batik-carpenters-star.jpg  

Last edited by Wendys Quilts; 08-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Power Poster

I think it depends on where you live. Down here near the Gulf it is very warm for many months, even with A/C. We just sleep with a sheet on top. In the winter, I use a thermal blanket on to of the sheet and that can get a little warm. My DH and I have a lot of "core" heat. (We're heavier than we should be). Most of our family live in the Midwest where it get's colder, Indiana and Michigan. Up there the Traditional 3 layers would be best.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Wendy, I am also from Michigan and I just plain like the weight of the three layers, I use Hobbs 80-20 and just love the weight of it. Even in summer, then the hot flashes start rolling and so do the covers on and off. LOL
Old 08-21-2013, 06:09 PM

Normally I use the traditional three layers. Lived in central Michigan until 4 years ago. Needed all the warmth we could get during those long cold winters. Since moving south have made several quilts with a top and fleece backing.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:14 PM

I prefer to make a three layer quilt as it gives texture and shows of the quilting. I do pick a variety of different battings so each quilt is intended to be used in certain temperatures. I have even done 4 layer quilts using two battings.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM

Well here in Phoenix, AZ, the Christ Child Society started this year making their "quilts" for the new borns with flannel and no batting. I still quilt for them with batting when I make them at home for them. I also just met a quilter who quilts for a home for domestic abuse victims in Flagstaff, AZ (they get snow in the winter). She has a group that meets once a week in the summer (she is just there in summer to get out of the heat of Phoenix) and they don't use batting anymore either but backs them with fleece. They are soft and cuddlie and saves them the cost of batting since they donate them. The recipients are still very appreciative of the quilts/blankets they receive. I have not quilted with no batting and just fleece on my LA but I am going to try it.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:08 AM

I prefer traditional quilts. However, I use Quilter's Dream Orient for the batting. It is light in weight but warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It is made of Silk, Bamboo, Eucalyptus, and Cotton. With the rise in cotton prices it is only a few cents per inch higher in price but well worth it.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:14 AM

As previously posted, I just made myself a summer quilt with only top & backing. But the quilts I make as gifts all have batting. Maybe the next baby quilt or lap quilt I make I'll use flannel & see how that works.