Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts >

Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Traditional 3 layer quilts vs Summer Quilts

Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 AM

I'm with Paper Princess - in the Pacific Northwest it gets cold at night, even in summer. Although it will hit 90 today (it doesn't happen very often!), it was cold last night, and still was when I opened the doors to air out the house this morning. Three layer traditional quilts are mainly what I make. The exception is baby quilts -- because those are washed so often I usually either have a white sheet or white flannel in the center in lieu of batting. Sometimes I just do the quilt top and the backing in flannel (or minkie) to make it a lighter weight.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM

Wendy, I am in Florida too and like the idea of just a flannel backing. Doesn't flannel shrink a lot? Do you pre-wash it? I think I might try this on my next wallhanging - after all it does not need batting.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 AM

Even though we live in a hot climate, in the summer we like a quilt on our bed that has one layer of Warm and Natural batting. We have air conditioning as well as a ceiling fan over the bed. I think a thinner quilt would seem too light weight, or at least I would not call it a quilt, which is by definition a 3 layer item. The quilting would not show up as well without the batting layer, and unless the backing is very light, colors and patterns might show through on the top. You may have a point about the summer quilts being good for little ones who like to drag them around. It's just a personal preference. Do what pleases you.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:24 AM

I just this summer made myself a "summer" quilt. Top pieced from leftover 10" & 2" blocks (think snowball) with just a backing. Tied at corner intersections. On my bed now. Just right for summer nights with a/c down to 70. And I still call it a quilt.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Don't know where I learned this, but a quilt without batting is referred to as a counterpane quilt. I made one and love it. I wanted a quilt that wasn't so hot to be under. I find it to be quite warm, though batting does add more warmth though.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 AM

jmho: Hawaiin quilts are two layers due to their climate.

I say do what you like for your climate. . . . . and yes, traditionally quilt means 3 layers, but how about putting a layer of love in the summer quilts besides the piecing of the top? works for me.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Hey Wendy, I am in Orange Park, so just a short distance from you! I never tried a quilt without batting, but have wondered what to use for the back if I should ever try one. I think I will try one with either the flannel or fleece for backing. Got a lot of good info from this feed!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom View Post
jmho: Hawaiin quilts are two layers due to their climate.

??? Are you talking tradtional Hawaiian applique quilts? They most certainly do use batting. In fact Pacific Rim Quilt Company recommends a high loft polyester. I have seen antique ones and they definitely had some sort of batting as well.

If you are going to go to all that effort hand quilting an echo stitch every 1/2" or so I would think you would want it to show.

From PRQC

http://prqc.com/qa.htm#20
[h=5]20. What batting do you recommend?[/h]Hawaiian Quilts: We use 5 ounce 100% polyester. This is a thick batt. You want the extra loft to really show off the echo quilting. Do not use cotton, it compresses and looks flat after being quilted. You will put a lot of effort into hand quilting your Hawaiian Quilt - you want your echo quilting rows to show.

From Quilt University
http://www.quiltuniversity.com/w/Hawaiian101.htm

"Batting is an important issue with Hawaiian quilts and I want you to be happy with your results. The Hawaiian quilters I know like to use 100% polyester bonded batting for their quilts. This type of high-loft batting retains its loft between the many rows of quilting. The light and shadows cast on those rows create the personality of the quilt and really brings the quilt to life. If you choose a flat batting, you will do the same amount of stitching, but there will be less personality to the finished quilt."
Old 08-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Down here in the gulf coast area, there is little need for warmth in a quilt. Probably what I make would be considered a summer quilt. I use a polyester traditonal punched batting. It gives a nice feel to the guilt yet is light.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 AM

I live in the desert and I make summer quilts with just 2 layers of cotton. Sometimes I do FMQ and sometimes stitch in the ditch. Love them!