Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red work vs Blue work >

Red work vs Blue work

Red work vs Blue work

Old 09-26-2013, 04:55 AM
dd

Default Red work vs Blue work

I recently purchases a panel pre-printed with designs for what I thought was red work. It even says red work on the selvedge. But, it's printed in dark blue not the lighter blue like the transfers. I think this is supposed to be used with dark blue floss. I thought I would just use red anyway but now I'm afraid all the blue printing won't wash out. Any thoughts? Any one else seen panels pre-printed like this?
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

All pre-printed embroidery panels I've ever seen were blue and, no, it doesn't wash off. When I did my redwork wallhanging, I transferred the pattern by hand to muslin and used a red Pigma pen so it doesn't show.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

I would surely use three strands of floss if I wanted to use the red color. If you keep your stitches tiny and close enough, you should be able to get away with any color you want to embroider the panel.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM

Do not iron the pre stamped embroidery. That will set in the blue marks. Also, when I wash these, first I soak them in very cold water. I dump my ice tray into the water and soak for about an hour or more. Then I use PUREX laundry soap with a tiny bit of OXYCLEAN. This method has gotten the blue marks out about 90% of the time.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

I think I would trace a section so I could reproduce it in pencil if needed. I would then wash a little section and see if the blue comes out. If it does you can put the lines back in with a pencil. If it doesn't come out I would use purple, blue or black perle cotton to embroider it. It is still called " Redwork" no matter what colour you use as long as you stick to one colour of perle cotton.
If you really like the panel and still want to do it in red, you could trace the pattern onto muslin and then you would have 2 panels to embroider. A win win situation.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan, sounds like a great idea!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Try using size 12 wt cotton thread instead of floss It's so much easier to work with for hand embroidery. I have started using size 12 wt Aurifil and Sulky for all my crossstitch.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Wonderful suggestions, I will try to remember these, too!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Banned

From your initial post I would assume you have not tested the marks to see if they come out. You should be able to do this on the printing of the selvedge and not on the design. Identification of the company producing it or the printer would be helpful. A lot of the newer embroidery is being printed in wash out ink. Too much unknowns here to give a really informed suggestion. As to the color it is printed. The blue can vary depending on the printer and the color of the printing does not indicate the color thread to be used. Just beause it says "red work" doesn't mean it has to be embroidered in red. Red Work is the traditional name for this type product.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:59 PM

I agree with the above statement, you do not have to embroider to match the lines, but I was told that these lines would probably stay on. I did the blue redwork on a panel of children at christmas, I think by anna leah?, it could be done in blue (which I did) or another identical was red, which I bought anyways, not sure if I will ever get to it, but I have it anyways. Speaking of this panel, it was made up of nine squares and as luck would have it I had to cut it up into squares, as it was not square. I do enjoy redwork any color!