Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What are some big shows? >

What are some big shows?

What are some big shows?

Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 AM

Default What are some big shows?

I recently had a quilt hang in an AQS show. It was a phenomenal experience (no ribbon though) and I was so proud to see my work there. The downside- they don't give comments, so I really don't have feedback to make myself better.

Can anyone recommend good shows that offer judges feedback.

I know about MQX and Road to California. And IQF in Houston (I think that is out of my league). But I don't really know what else is out there.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

I don't know if you get feedback from the judges at any of the big shows. You get feedback from the judges at county and state fairs though.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I go to a lot of AQS shows. I have chatted with the winners. From what I understand the Best of show quilts, the judges don't judge strictly on quality workmanship because all the quilts are near perfectly pieced, quilted, bound, appliqued, etc. Quilters who make show quilts year after year know what the judges are looking for. The same judges seem to judge the same show. That is one complaint I hear a lot from quilters entered in the big shows. The judges for most shows are looking for the WOW factor first, new innovative method used, the creativity, use of color, theme, etc. Not many classic quilt designs win the Best of Show awards.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I don't know if you get feedback from the judges at any of the big shows. You get feedback from the judges at county and state fairs though.
MQX states you get your scores, and if you are juried in you can request the judges comments. IQF also gives you the judges sheets and so does Road to California.

There is apparently some show in Kansas (based on Google- I think this must be MQS, so there's another to add to my list) that also offers comments, because Claudia Pfiel (who is phenomenal) was talking about using the comments to improve. That is why I wanted to seek out a show that gave comments.

My style of quilting doesn't really allow me to enter the state fair. The categories are all around traditional quilts, even if they are wall hangings. I don't do that.

Last edited by Skittl1321; 10-10-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:19 AM

As far as I know, most shows give judge's comments - AQS is the exception. I believe that the Paducah AQS show still gives judges comments, too.

I would enter the MQS and MQS shows if your quilt qualifies. Another good one is the NQA show in Columbus, OH. It's in May next year. Quilt Odyssey in Pennsylvania is also good.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:36 AM

The best critique I have ever received was from the NQA show. You need to join to enter a quilt but the fee is modest. It is not a juried show, but they do limit the number of quilts they accept. The show is in Columbus, Ohio in May. Google NQA (National Quilting Association) and you should be able to get all the info. When you join you also get a quarterly publication.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 AM

I agree that the NQA show is fabulous, but I don't think you need be a member to enter - the fee is higher for non-members, though. The IQA show in Houston is one where you need to join the IQA to enter the show. It's pricey to enter, but worth it if you win.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:06 AM

http://www.quilts.com/home/index.php is the website for the group that puts on the Houston IQA and several other shows. You can also check with the quilt guilds in your area.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

A Quilter's Gathering in Manchester, NH (East Coast Quilters Alliance). Their show is coming up end of Oct/beginning Nov. this year. Great show. They are on the web. Check them out.

Anita
Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Comments are helpful for improvement. That being said, many shows do not use licensed judges. Technique judging is more objective than design judging. There are some techniques that are pretty universal, such as bindings should be full and stitched down at the corners; straight lines should be straight and stitch in the ditch helps that; points should not be chopped off or left dangling; seams that are suppose to match better match; it should lay flat.

You can learn a lot and improve yourself by joining a small group with critiques and reading books on jurying and judging processes.

Each judge will give opinion and sometimes they're quite different on the same quilt.

In a judged show, I've heard that all the quilts in a catagory will be viewed together and the best visually will be held over for judging. Do all the others get comments? Don't know.