Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
North vs South >

North vs South

North vs South

Old 10-09-2013, 04:46 PM

Default North vs South

I was recently told that for quilts to be used in the south, you should do heavy quilting, because it will be cooler. In the North, you want to leave more areas unquilted because it's the fluffy parts of the quilt that trap the warmth and make it cozier.
Any one else ever hear this? What do you think of the idea?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Take a look at the old quilts on displays. I've never heard of this .... and don't think it is so true. I think the quilting depends on the quilter and the pattern. Maybe a history buff can add more to this discussion.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM

I don't know that I agree. There are many factors that go into how heavy a quilt is. What kind of batting/backing is used, how dense/loose the quilting is, and even what kind of pattern the top is. I made a quilt with 9196 pieces and you can bet that puppy is heavy. The amount of quilting is just one part of it. I don't like a lot of dense quilting in bed quilts because it renders them stiff.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:48 PM

You should do quilts how you want to do them. Not what other people tell you to do.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Actually, I have never heard this. I figure that since I use Warm and Natrual, that it will be what it says. :-) If I get cold I can always use two or more quilts. I have loads of them.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM

If you buy a quilt based on that little tip you better not ever move or you are in trouble. LOL
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I've never heard this either. Living in the deep south, it does get cold here in the winter. Granted, not as cold as the northern part of the country, or for as long, but, we need heat and quilts!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 AM
Banned

Sounds like personal preference to me. Doesn't central heat take care of such.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:58 AM

LOL..Holice love you answer...I am sitting here wrapped in a quilt with my morning coffee...it feels like 20 degrees. Time for the heat to be turned on my fingers are freezing. I need a quilted finger blanket. ; )
Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Yes and no. I live in Mn. I need cool quilts in the summer and warm quilts in the winter. High loft and poly is definitely warmer in the winter. But, how many do you need? Every family member has, at least one high loft, tied quilt and one low loft summer quilt. Cotton simpy is not that warm if you have drafts, keep the heat down at night or are sick or have health issues that make you feel cold. Poly works by holding in your own warmth. Thats one of the reasons afgans made from poly yarns are so warm. I am now making a round of lap quilts for family members who have health problems because two reported that the warm and natural quilts are not warm enough.

I totally loved joannes soft and crafty hi loft when it first came out. However, by the second year, they cheapened their product and removed much of the loft. Still aggravates me. Anyway, if you want warm, stick with a poly or mostly poly and don't do really heavy quilting. If you want average, use whatever you want. I use a lot of quilters dream and warm and natural and quilt it the way I want, but I use lofty batting(sometimes 2 layers) and wool to tie for very warm quilts.

Edited to add: adding additional quilts if you are cold doesn't work for a lot of people. Either they can't stand the extra weight or they have a physical problem like neuropathy from diabetes. I used to love having two or three quilts on at night and then I got older and find it cloying.

Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 10-10-2013 at 06:58 AM.