Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron? >

Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron?

Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 AM

Cool Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron?

My mom does alot of doll clothes and barbie clothes making-thought maybe this would be a good Christmas gift for her so she didn't have to have her big iron out all the time. Has anyone used one? Is it worth buying the one with all the attachments? Any help I can get in making this decision I would appreciate-Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM

I have one, used it, hated it, now it takes up space in my sewing room. Wouldn't get hot enough. Have since got the petite press and love it. The handle is adjustable.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:27 AM

I have the clover iron. I just use the attachment that came with it. I use it for sleeves, collars, small areas that is hard for even my small iron. For hems, waist bands and the final press I use my miniature iron. The clover iron is convenient but I only use it because I already had it. I would probably but one this size if I didn't already have one.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:35 AM

All the time!!! It is the perfect little iron for very small seam areas, ironing the quarter inch to freezer paper when doing applique, paper piecing, etc. Would think it would be perfect for doll clothes. I have two. The older one does not have the safety guard and I would recommend getting the one that does have it. That also comes with two sizes of ironing heads. The chisled point is the winning feature on this.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 AM

I used it for small applique. It helped in those tiny areas.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about the newer Clover irons but the older models, the iron had to be brought to highest temp several times before it reached max temp. Once it reached max temp then it, it would get very hot after that when turned on. DH explained it to me but I forgot most of it. I almost threw mine away, it wouldn't get hot enough, I only tried it twice. DH said to heat it up, let it cool then retry. After about four times the iron got hot and stayed hot.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:14 AM

Mine never got hot enough. Takes up room in my sewing room. However, I will try what BellaBoo suggested in repeated heatings to get it up to temperature. Then if it doesn't work, maybe I'll get rid of it.

Anita
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I don't know about the newer Clover irons but the older models, the iron had to be brought to highest temp several times before it reached max temp. Once it reached max temp then it, it would get very hot after that when turned on. DH explained it to me but I forgot most of it. I almost threw mine away, it wouldn't get hot enough, I only tried it twice. DH said to heat it up, let it cool then retry. After about four times the iron got hot and stayed hot.
This is very true! Now that sucker gets "hinges of Hell" hot! I have to make sure I don't have it turned up to high or it will scorch my fabrics or over melt my fusible.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 AM

I have the mini iron 2 and use it for embellishments I like it. It does get hot, have burn myself on it. Its really good for applique paper piecing, embellishment(foil, angelina, glitter, etc).
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Just a funny story. My friend went with husband to haragate show to look at the quilts etc. she purchased nothing at all . He bought a cover iron to help with making his model planes. It was just right for him.