Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron? >

Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron?

Has anyone ever used the clover mini iron?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

my clover iron is a permanent fixture in my Dear Jane project area... love it
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM

I have it, and like it. But I'm still a beginner.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:29 AM

I find it a bit awkward to use. The only time I use mine is for applying thin bias strips with fusibles.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

I've been using mine for 10+ years---sometimes can not function without it! I do a lot of applique and find it to be my favorite go-to tool. also could not do all the stained glass applique I do without it. I don't know about using it for doll clothes- but I love it for applique.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Yes, I have one and I like it. If you are opening seams to reduce bulk, it's so handy to have.It's great for any small area where a large iron would be too big.
As far as not getting hot enough,oh boy, mine sure was hot enough!!! This topic reminds me, before I use it again, I should buy some heat resistant thimbles. Darn, where did I see them? Oh, well, I guess I will be doing some web searching. I bought the mini iron to use when making stained glass quilt projects. I haven't made the stained glass quilt projects, but I use it for other projects. If your Mom is making doll clothes I would think she would find it very useful,just as I have. My Dad always said, "Having the right tools for the job makes life so much easier". Dad was right.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM

I have one and use it for ITH projects such as mini picture frames and zipper pouches. I love it!! I read some posts above that said theirs don't get hot enough- mine gets really hot! I really like it for little areas. I do not use any attachments. I use it just the way it came. I did ask DH for a wooden rack that I can lay it on between uses. The little iron rest thingy that came with it does not seem very stable.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM

I have 2, and I love them. Well, I love one of them because I can't find the first one I bought. I spent weeks looking for it and decided that it must have fallen into that black hole that holds all the single socks and small baby clothes that have been lost in the washing machine over the years. I finally bought another (with a coupon, of course) and hoped that the first one would show up. It hasn't, but I love the one I can find. I use it for appliqué and it works great. It does get HOT and I burned myself the first time out on a part that I didn't expect to be hot.
Sue
Old 10-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Have one but don't use it a lot. Sometimes take to quild sew ins to lighten the load. Have used it more in craft situations.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:46 PM

I am on my second Clover iron. I used it so much that I wore the first one out. I bought the iron when I was making lots of doll clothes; but recently, I have used it for appliqué. I have never noticed my iron not getting hot enough. Some times I have to turn it down. I love that iron so much that the day my first one broke, I went out and bought a new one. I did not want to be without a mini iron.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:47 PM

I've had mine for several years and like using it while I'm piecing, then afterwards I use a regular iron for pressing the finished block. You have to be careful not to burn yourself but it's handy to have it plugged in next to your sewing machine for quick seam pressing. I use the wooden holder and a small (6 inch) ironing/cutting pad and it doesn't take up much space, especially for classes. Don't know about the one with all the attachments because mine is the older one that only came with the one pointed (spade shaped) tip. Never had a problem with it not being hot enough.