Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Entering in a fair, have a few questions... >

Entering in a fair, have a few questions...

Entering in a fair, have a few questions...

Old 07-31-2009, 05:30 PM

My mother has convinced me to enter my stuff in a fair next month, she has been going for several years now, and usually takes first place in every category she enters (non quilting)
There are several categories, and I'm not sure which quilts to pick for each category, and I can only enter one per category, so this is where I would like your help.
I have several photos, so this might take a couple of posts, please bare with me -oh ya, there is one non-quilting category at the end too.

So, here goes.

There is a pieced quilt category, and I'm hesitating between the brown BOM, and my black white and red barn raising log cabin (which I have yet to finish quilting, I'm working on it)
There is also a crib sized quilt category, but this one is not baby-ish, it's just crib sized, so I don't know if it would be ok to enter this one...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15790.jpe   attachment-15791.jpe   attachment-15798.jpe  
Old 07-31-2009, 05:38 PM

I was really trying to finish this colourful one on time, but it turns out there is a category for a quilt top, so that's great since I can't figure out HOW I want to quilt this one. Is it a good choice for a quilt top by itself?

Also, there is a pieced block category, I think I will enter this NYB block, which will eventually be part of my center for the IRR
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15799.jpe   attachment-15809.jpe  
Old 07-31-2009, 05:42 PM

The last category I'm unsure of, is non-quilt related, but it's supposed to be a 10x12" painting, framed. I have these two that I'm working on, nearly finished, just tweaking really on the blue one, and the tree and part of the shirt left on the black one. Anyway, I think I'm leaning toward the blue one, but any opinions would be appreciated.

And last but not least, there is a group quilt category. I have received my B&W blocks, assuming I can put it together on time, do you think it would be ok to enter it? Should I PM each person who has a block in my quilt and ask them directly?

ETA: Both paintings are watercolour,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-15804.jpe   attachment-15805.jpe  
Old 07-31-2009, 05:43 PM

I'm going to be of NO help to you here.
I like them all!

But, I do agree that the colorful one would be good for the quilt top catagory......

Yes, enter the B&W. If you PM everyone, I'm sure they will be ok with it

And, that was going to be my next question.....is there a "drawing/art" catagory? So, you've answered that one and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little girl and baby one.
Did I tell you I have the picture of the rose you sent me hanging in my sewing room? :) :)
Old 07-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

They are all beautiful. But my favorites are the black/white/red quilt & the blue picture. You are extremly talented. Your work is beautiful. Good luck with choosing and let us know what you decide and how you do in the fair.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the winners from the previous years, so I have NO idea what I'm up against, so it's a little stressful, know what I mean?

This is not a quilt show, so I'm assuming the judging will be more lenient. This is a fair, so there is livestock, fruits and vegetables, jams, crafts, needlework, quilting, weaving, rugs, miscelaneous... I'm still stressed, lol!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I'm going to be of NO help to you here.
I like them all!

But, I do agree that the colorful one would be good for the quilt top catagory......

Yes, enter the B&W. If you PM everyone, I'm sure they will be ok with it

And, that was going to be my next question.....is there a "drawing/art" catagory? So, you've answered that one and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little girl and baby one.
Did I tell you I have the picture of the rose you sent me hanging in my sewing room? :) :)
Ya, I think you mentioned it a couple of days ago :)

I love to paint and draw, I used to be really good at it really into it, but then I discovered quilting, and... well... lol, it has kind of taken over!
I played a lot of music too before I discoverd quilting, I have 7 guitars that are pretty much just decorative now, but got lots of use until a couple of years ago, LOL! I really should get back into it.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:02 PM

Wow... you're amazing!

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with their black and white blocks being entered if you can get it made up in time. After all, the blocks are given, not loaned. When you give something to someone you kind of release ownership of it.
I think it's an awesome idea for the group category!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I was really trying to finish this colourful one on time, but it turns out there is a category for a quilt top, so that's great since I can't figure out HOW I want to quilt this one. Is it a good choice for a quilt top by itself?
I am absolutely smitten by the colorful one! They're all beautiful quilts, and your painting is wonderful as well. Just pick what you think is your best work in each category.

I have not entered in our local fair, but other people say that it is a good way to get honest feedback that will help you develop your quilting skills. You learn what you do well, but also what you need to work on. (Right now I can just look at my quilts and tell what I need to work on - everything!)
Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM

They all look great Read through the entry book and you will see what the judges are looking for in each category. I'm betting there are ribbons in your future!