Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Machine Question >

A Machine Question

A Machine Question

Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM

Default A Machine Question

Well, my Brother XL2610 has kicked the bucket and I'm in need of a new machine. I need one soon too since I have a few projects that need to get done asap!
I have all the feet for Brother sewing machines, so I'd like to stick with them if possible. Just wondering what model you ladies would suggest or if you would suggest a different brand of machine altogether.
I primarily piece and quilt with my machine (occasional costumes/clothes) so I'd like to get a machine with a bit deeper throat than the XL2610 to make quilting a bit easier.
Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM

Just bought my daughter a Brother CS420PRW from Amazon.com. Arrived in four days with free shipping. She loves it! It has a bigger throat (7.5 inches) than my Brother and my Pfaff. Of course, not as big a throat as my Babylock Crescendo--but the Brother cost over $3000 less. Good reviews on Amazon and lots of nice features. Check it out. I think you'll like it IMHO.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM

What is your budget? I like the memory craft 6600p. I think janome and brother feet are interchangable but most 6600's come with all the feet you would need anyway.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM

I would ideally like to stay under $200. We just don't have a lot of money right now, especially with the holidays. I may be able to fix the one I have, but it will cost as much as it's worth...
Old 12-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by acesgame View Post
What is your budget? I like the memory craft 6600p. I think janome and brother feet are interchangable but most 6600's come with all the feet you would need anyway.
I have this machine and I love it. 9" throat.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 AM

I have found through trial and error that not all short shank feet, including snap on feet, are interchangeable between Brother and Janome.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM

I think she needs to pick out a machine and then head to the Brother website to read which accessories the replacement machine can use.

Even my new Janome is NOT capable of using the same feet as my 8 year old Janome.

I would head to a Brother dealer and see if you could find an "upgrade" machine that has been traded/service. Might be worth the trip.

sandy
Old 12-02-2013, 04:33 AM

I think you need to stick with Brother machines if you want to use all the feet you already have. I agree with Sandygirl's advice in looking for a used machine, especially with a $200 budget. You may find a different brand of machine which comes with all the feet you want. If you change brands, I'd suggest getting a machine with upper feed dogs, like a Pfaff. Not sure if you can get a larger throat with that budget, but at least you can find a machine quickly to finish up what you are doing on time. You can always ask Santa for an upgraded machine later, and for that I'd suggest something with upper feed dogs, a large throat for free motion quilting, and a lot of light, like the Janome 7700. That's one awesome machine, and it would be my choice if I didn't have a longarm.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:35 AM

"I would head to a Brother dealer and see if you could find an "upgrade" machine that has been traded/service. Might be worth the trip."

sandy
I agree with Sandy. You will not find a bigger harp in a cheaper machine, they all seem to be pretty small. Check with any dealer in your area. My Bernina dealer sales Brothers and Baby locks and repairs all kinds. Sometimes they take trades on the more expensive machines. When I checked with my Bernina (sp?) dealer, he had a Singer (Pretty nice one) for $100. I ended up buying a Pfaff stretch and jeans machine for $200 with a years warranty and a free service at the end of the year. I later bought another Pfaff a select 1540 for $400 that had rarely been used and traded in for a Bernina. The lady had bought it for her daughter and she never used it. Good luck on your hunt.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:06 AM

Check out the vintage forum here on QB. You may never get a new machine again.