Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help pressing.... >

Need help pressing....

Need help pressing....

Old 11-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Default Need help pressing....

....a Sawtooth star block that uses HST units rather than FG?
Thanks in advance!
PS. This is my first ever actual block. Will post pic if I ever find these batteries!
Old 11-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

press hst pieces while they are folded- with light side down to set the seam, then open them and press (so the seam will fold toward the dark side- press---do not iron back & forth which will stretch the bias edge & cause the half square triangle to be wonky. generally patterns tell you what direction to press your pieces/blocks- follow those instructions to achieve the best results. always press (place iron down flat, lift, move, press) do not iron across pieces/seams.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:16 PM

Thanks....yes, I should have been more clear. I know to "press" to the dark and I had all my hst units done....I up-sized and then squared up to correct size. I was running into pressing direction problems as I was sewing my 4 horizontal rows together (2 and 2 and sewing those halves together). I was careful to make sure as I pieced the individual rows to make sure I would be able to nest my seams together, but in some instances when I went to sew my rows together I would end up having a flipped seam (where I crossed a hst seam) when it came time to press...ended up having to re-press a few. Also I made my post after it was all said and done,...was just hoping there was a standard I could follow next time so I wouldn't have to adjust pressing later .
BTW.....I'm not using any pattern other than the notes and drawing I jotted down from:

http://www.andersonscquilters.com/PF/BOM/BOM3.pdf

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 PM

OK....had to steel batteries from remote LOL! Here it is....my very first completed block; front and back. I can already see where I will lose one of my points when adjoined to another block...but I think I can live with that given the fact it's my first...yeah!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449361[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]449362[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails sawtooth-star-003.jpg   sawtooth-star-002.jpg  
Old 12-01-2013, 05:21 AM

For your first I think you've done a great job. I also upsize my HST's and then trim. I press my seams open most times. I think it makes for a flatter block and makes things easier to line up. I also use steam to press things into submission.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks!
I thought about pressing the seams open, but wasn't sure I would be able to keep my points without being able to nest seams? I'm gonna try it on the next block, because at each juncture where 2 hst's meet I get that bump. I just keep hearing Mary Ann Fons over and over in my head as she drills that repeatedly on Love of Quilting....not to mention my DH saying "remember; nest those seams honey" LOL!!!.......I only have like 40 or so episodes recorded on DVR that I watch over and over again and didn't know he was paying so much attention !

Vera
Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 AM

Btw...Wouldn't I get the same "bumps" with FG as I would with HST's? Also would it look weird if I did FG for the rest of the blocks or should I stick to what I started? Either way I'll attempt the pressing open....oh but just thought of something....wouldn't I want to still press to the dark in an event where it might show through? Is there a way to eliminate the bumps in that case? Seems I seen Eleanor from an episode of Quilt in a Day snip and make lay flat like a tiny 4 patch, but can't remember how or even if it works for this block?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Eleanor Burns, and other teachers, use that technique where you have several (not just two) seams meeting. I personally don't press seams open unless I absolutely have to...I think it weakens the seam a little, and, if the thread of the seam should break, the batting can show thru since there is no back layer of fabric to cover the "hole". Each sewist has her/his own technique on this...besides, burning fingers is a lot more probably when pressing open quarter inch seams vs. opening five eights inch seams like in regular sewing. One technique I've seen used is to have something handy at your ironing board or machine that will allow you to add extra pressure on the bulky section and help with the pressing. I actually have a small hammer and it's amazing how much flatter a "knot" can get if you whack it a time or two on a firm, flat surfact...we use our irons to flatten seams, the hammer or other heavier object adds a little more pressure in the difficult spots.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Think I might have a heavy enough book....much quieter Thanks