Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need Help in Pressing Pillowcases

Blog Entries

Need Help in Pressing Pillowcases

I have a lot of fabric that was given to me or I bought several years back. Storage is just almost impossible because if the amount of fabric that I have--no kidding. I am donating some fabrics as I go along. I have decided to make pillowcases for my grans and family members. I have created 'my perfect pattern' to do all this. It just gets awkward when I do the final pressing--I have tried so many things but so far nothing is working to keep from getting the extra indenting seams along sewing seams. Is there a way to avoid getting this short of not pressing seams on the outside? any help would be appreciated--thanks

Blog Entries
    can you show us a picture, I'm not understanding to well what you mean
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I seldom iron things like that but when I do, I turn them inside out before ironing.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

If I am imagining this correctly, I believe a thick piece of cardboard the length of the seam placed inside placed above the bulk of the seam and then ironed would work but you would have to switch it around either two or four times depending on the size of the cardboard.

I know exactly what you are talking about as I have washed and ironed about 50 pillowcases some of us made for donation to our local children's hospital where the nurses like to give each child a special pillowcase to take home. The basic pattern, from All People Quilt, http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/millio...s/RollItUp.pdf includes a French seam. When you go to press, this leaves one side and the bottom with a bump where the double seam is inside. What I do is smooth it flat, and press from the side with the bump toward the opposite side which has a fold. You have to work it a bit to get it flat. Same with the bottom. I always use water spray on it, which makes it easier to manipulate. Frankly, I don't think absolute perfection is achievable. There is often a little bit a wrinkle here or there. But I'm not a perfectionist, and I think they all look fine.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by annievee View Post
    I have a lot of fabric that was given to me or I bought several years back. Storage is just almost impossible because if the amount of fabric that I have--no kidding. I am donating some fabrics as I go along. I have decided to make pillowcases for my grans and family members. I have created 'my perfect pattern' to do all this. It just gets awkward when I do the final pressing--I have tried so many things but so far nothing is working to keep from getting the extra indenting seams along sewing seams. Is there a way to avoid getting this short of not pressing seams on the outside? any help would be appreciated--thanks
    I make lots of pillow cases. When stitching is finished I work each seam out with my fingers, kind of rolling the two sides back. Then I press slowly, making sure the seam stays in place. This method has given me the best result.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-09-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    Thanks to all that responded--the cardboard trick worked great !
    This post can be closed. Thanks again to all !