Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 01-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Small rant:

Several weeks ago, I placed an extra pair of brand new (still in package) tailoring shears on CL. I got several responses including a Canadian who wanted me to ship them to her. I told her that would be fine but that I'd have to first receive cleared payment and charge extra for shipping. She said she couldn't believe what I difficult seller I am and that she'd rather go to her hometown fabric store and use a coupon she'd been saving rather than buy from me. (Gee, I wonder if her check would clear or if she'd do a stop payment and keep the item.) Another buyer who lives about 10 miles away wanted me to deliver them to her home. Sure, I can spend my money in gas and wear/tear on my car delivering a $15 item to her, then get to drive all the way home. These shears are selling on Amazon between $30 and $50.

Annoying!

/rant over
Old 01-02-2015, 05:49 PM

LOLOL. can't blame you on that ...... I was once told by a groupie on here , That I can't count the money I spend on gas as part of buying a machine.. wish she would have informed my gas tank about that or my wallet.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4785590010.html
How many reasons do you think this ad has been up for 6 months???

Miriam, I noticed several "missing parts", for one, there's no spool pin, there's no bobbin case, just to name a couple, besides the missing cover plate.

Jeanette
you mean other than it's not a [h=2]Antique or Industrial $50 USD would be top price for a very nice 15-91 I wouldn't have a clue ​ lolololol [/h]
Old 01-02-2015, 05:58 PM

As for the 201s available in the Puget Sound area ($475 and $300), here are mine, all purchased from CL in the Puget Sound area and all within about 8 months:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504504[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504505[/ATTACH]

#1 is a non-Centennial in the Art Deco cabinet #42 for $60. It's in fantastic shape except the wiring, which is serviceable for now.
#2 is a Centennial in the table #40 for $35. It's in fantastic shape.
#3 is a Centennial in a bentwood case for $40. It's in very good shape and the case needs work.

To anyone reading this that has to live within a budget, don't overpay for these machines. The 201 is a great, great sewing machine but it's not worth $475 or anywhere near such a price. Don't be swayed by sellers who copy/paste paragraphs of information from another site in order to convince you that you're looking at something really special.

Great machines can be had for far, far less. Be patient and the universe will reward you!
Attached Thumbnails p1010011-640x480-.jpg   singer201-2-800x600-.jpg   _1013972-640x480-.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 01-02-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
LOLOL. can't blame you on that ...... I was once told by a groupie on here , That I can't count the money I spend on gas as part of buying a machine.. wish she would have informed my gas tank about that or my wallet.
Exactly. Should we ignore shipping costs when buying online? Of course not! I always factor transport costs (and effort -- industrials are big and heavy or as ArchaicArcane says, "big and scary") into the decision whether to buy. I found a great, great machine down in Hayward, CA. The cost of gas alone made the machine beyond my budget, let alone time off work and family responsibilities, etc.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Exactly. Should we ignore shipping costs when buying online? Of course not! I always factor transport costs (and effort -- industrials are big and heavy or as ArchaicArcane says, "big and scary") into the decision whether to buy. I found a great, great machine down in Hayward, CA. The cost of gas alone made the machine beyond my budget, let alone time off work and family responsibilities, etc.
LOL! Did I say big and scary? Perhaps that's why mine worked me over today. It took me 4 tries to lift that motor I rewired back into place. It would have been 3 tries, but I dropped a washer before I got even one nut on. I was -this- close to going and getting the floor jack out of the garage!!!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 PM

next time put the bolts in, stand the table on end or upside down. yes the clutch motors are often heavier than the machine head.

should any of you have a motor that is not rubber mounted,, find something and add some between the mount and the wood. I've use wet suit materiel. old mouse pads the very thick kind

cuts the noise way down. my factory rubber mounted motor is almost silent
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Thanks for that!
LOL! I should have thought of that! Removing the head and tipping it on side would have been easier that the 4 pushups with a hold at the top! Good grief! The head has to be 50 lbs, and the motor is more!?!?

I did put a piece of inner tube on 2 of the bolts and a broccoli elastic on the other one - I didn't have a 3rd piece of rubber and I didn't know where DH was keeping his inner tube. It does seem quieter but not silent. I will see about something thicker and this time wait until DH is home for help with the motor!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/4785590010.html
How many reasons do you think this ad has been up for 6 months???

Miriam, I noticed several "missing parts", for one, there's no spool pin, there's no bobbin case, just to name a couple, besides the missing cover plate.

Jeanette
he's an 1D10T
Here is another one that has been up for months:
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/for/4819529271.html
It isn't the price - the guy is just an 1D10T

I don't have any ads up right now so they are not my ads.

Last edited by miriam; 01-03-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:38 AM

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-19307545.html

Antique-Colliers--Son-London-Sewing-Machine

Strange looking machine. What is the round disk in the back?

Haha, miriam, love your spelling :-) ^^^^