Montgomery Ward UHT J1277 ?

Old 05-25-2014, 12:42 PM

Default Montgomery Ward UHT J1277 ?

I found this lovely Montgomery Ward Machine at the local thrift store and with the price being only $12, I just couldn't pass it up. I think it was probably was the 60's to early 70's but not sure. The manual says there are 11 cams and all of them are in the box along with several other feet and accessories. However, the manual also refers to a zigzag cam which isn't in the box and therefore the machine will not do zigzag. I am wondering if the manual means that the 11 cams are the decorative cams and if possibly the zigzag cam was already installed in the machine at time of purchase. The manual clearly states to use the cam labeled zigzag for making zigzag stitches but if you include the zigzag cam then there would be 12 cams included.

1. Does anyone on this board have this model of Montgomery Ward Machine.
2. Would cams that look very similar from a New Home Machine work in this machine.

It is possible to do zigzag by using the stretch stitch zigzag cam but of course it is not as smooth as the normal zigzag stitch.

Here is a link to a set of New Home cams that I thought might fit this machine but need someone's else opinion.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191190010854...84.m1423.l2649
Attached Thumbnails montgomery-ward-uht-j1277-front-view.jpg   montgomery-ward-uht-j1277-back-view.jpg   montgomery-ward-uht-j1277-front-end.jpg   montgomery-ward-uht-j1277-end-view.jpg   montgomery-ward-uht-j1277-cams.jpg  

Old 05-25-2014, 01:14 PM

I have a very similar one but mine has the built-in camstack. Now that it's all freed up it sews nicely. My daughter is currently using it as her travel machine for 4H meetings.
Rodney
Old 05-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Here is my thread on this machine. I found that mine had the one zig zag cam in it already. I purchased a set for it on ebay. I bought an original manual also on ebay first and if I remember correctly it had great photos of the cams in it and I matched those to the ones I finally found on ebay. I will go look to see if I have any photos of those cams for you.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t239480.html
Old 05-25-2014, 04:02 PM
Power Poster

I had one of those with a cam stack - generally I like the disks better than the cam stacks - they are simple and less goes wrong. I think you will have a very nice machine.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 AM

What kind of stitch does the #2 cam make it looks like it might make zzag stitch? Have you tryed all the cams out for the different stiches?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:05 AM

Blackberry,

Many machines are shipped with the ZZ cam on the cam drive. Some machines require a cam of some kind to be on the drive for proper functioning.

The box of 12 cams are accessory cams and are listed as such.

The ZZ cam will have equal bumps and divots all the way around the disk.

Joe
Old 05-26-2014, 08:32 AM

I am probably missing something here but have you tried setting the stitch width beyond 0 and seeing if it zig zags?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by butterfly48 View Post
What kind of stitch does the #2 cam make it looks like it might make zzag stitch? Have you tryed all the cams out for the different stiches?
The #2 cam is a stretch ZZ stitch. You can make a ZZ stitch with it but it just as that extra stitch but I have tried it and it does work.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM

I have a machine very similar to yours. Mine is: Model No. UHT J1939 - mine is a "convertible bed" machine - which means that you could fold down the bed on it and then sew something like a sleeve on a shirt. Mine came with a box of 11 PLASTIC cams - black with white and red markings on them. Mine look identical to yours. But, I also have a black METAL cam that says ZIG ZAG on it. It just stays inside the little door on the top. In order to use the zig zag, you have to engage a lever inside the little door - press it down, I think. On page 24 of my book it tells you how to "zigzag sewing" - and says "inserting zigzag cam for zigzag stitching. I do not know if my machine came with the cam inserted in the proper place inside the little door on top, or if it was in the separate plastic box with the rest of the cams.

I love my machine. If you have any questions, please ask away.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 AM

You find some help on the Yahoo group for vintage Japanese made sewing machines.