Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I make a mistake? >

Did I make a mistake?

Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM

Default Did I make a mistake?

I'm new to sewing/quilting. I bought a brother SQ 9050 sewing/quilting machine. One of the main reason I bought this machine is to learn to FMQ. So I came up with the idea to make dog and cat beds and crate pads while learning. I have been reading up on batting and it seems as though poly holds up well under frequent washing. These pads would probably have to be washed weekly or biweekly. A quilting person I have recently met told me I made a horrible decision. Should never use poly. I got a huge roll for dirt cheap. In my mind it made sense. Practice FMQ and the critters get comfy places to lay down and sleep. If this is a bad idea, what can I use the poly for? I know it's suppose to be good during the cold since it doesn't breath like natural fibers which is fine with me when it's cold. So can I use it for table runners? wall hanging? Anything? I'm just trying to find something to do with it. I will feel like a total idiot if there's no use for it.

Thanks for reading!!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM

No! I am not an expert on battings, but I really don't know why your quilter friend said you should never use poly. I have used poly in a quilt, and I have used warm and natural cotton batting. In my experience, the poly batting is loftier and lighter in weight. Maybe other members will weigh in on your question. I think the poly batting will work just fine and good for you for finding a bargain.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:08 PM

Nope! Lots of people use poly. Use it to practice just like you planned and then try some of the other battings--see which one you like most. At least that's what I would do. Have fun!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-02-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:47 PM

Some people can be a bit 'snobbish' when it comes to batting, nothing wrong with poly and I would have thought it would be perfect for cat/dog bedding as it washes really well and dries quickly.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:03 PM

I think I know why she told you not to use poly for the animal beds. It is because when they get washed they are washed in HOT water, and dried on HIGH heat. This can cause the poly to lose its fluff factor. When I have done blankets for the shelter I have used old cotton bath towels I pick up from goodwill as batting. They are inexpensive, and hold up very well to extreme washing ! I have never had trouble FMQ these with a large-ish stipple, but I would avoid anything too complex. As for the poly batting use it in quilts !! Use it in wall hangings, use it in anything you need batting for !
Old 06-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

you can go ahead and use the batting you purchased- poly batting holds up just fine-even washed in hot water-dried in hot dryer. it is a good choice for practice-and for pet beds/kennel quilts. there are people who simply believe no one should use anything except cotton- allow them their (choice) and when they try to (force their choices on you) simply smile, nod & use what you want.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:22 AM

There are 1000's upon 1000's of quilts out there, all made with poly batting and poly blend fabric. When I started using poly batting in the late 70's, everyone thought it was the greatest thing since popcorn!!!USE YOUR POLY!!!!!
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 AM

maybe that when FMQ sometime's the poly pulls through? JMHO. If she had a "Quilting Police" badge then you may want to take her opinion. But it sounds like she didn't since they've outlawed that badge, do your thing and practice.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 AM

Welcome to the quilting world. Use your poly as you want too. Each project will be a learning experience. Have fun.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

A cotton or cotton blend batt tends to be easier to FMQ with. Poly shifts a bit more between the cotton fabric and you can get a few wrinkles on the back but you can still use it. Make sure to baste well and since you are doing smaller sandwiches, it should be fine. I've made many a quilt with poly since some people prefer it.