Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I make a mistake? >

Did I make a mistake?

Did I make a mistake?

Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 AM

Use your poly batting. For kids quilts that I know are going to be washed a lot, I use poly because it washes so well. I'm pretty sure the animals who will be sleeping on these beds aren't going to be concerned about the batting choice.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 AM

Default Poly Batting

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
I'm new to sewing/quilting. I bought a brother SQ 9050 sewing/quilting machine. One of the main reason I bought this machine is to learn to FMQ. So I came up with the idea to make dog and cat beds and crate pads while learning. I have been reading up on batting and it seems as though poly holds up well under frequent washing. These pads would probably have to be washed weekly or biweekly. A quilting person I have recently met told me I made a horrible decision. Should never use poly. I got a huge roll for dirt cheap. In my mind it made sense. Practice FMQ and the critters get comfy places to lay down and sleep. If this is a bad idea, what can I use the poly for? I know it's suppose to be good during the cold since it doesn't breath like natural fibers which is fine with me when it's cold. So can I use it for table runners? wall hanging? Anything? I'm just trying to find something to do with it. I will feel like a total idiot if there's no use for it.

Thanks for reading!!
She may have said this due to if the dog would tear the bed/mat and eat the batting it could cause serious gastric issues for the animal even leading to surgery. I also would refrain from using this for the purpose of animals, so many other things you can use it for.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:37 AM

Poly batting will work JUST FINE for the purpose you have indicated!! Do not dismay...I frequently use a poly batting ( am really fond of the green recycled green bottle battings) for baby quilts, children's quilts and lap size charity quilts I make. They quilt beautifully on my long arm - are super light and warm - and stand up to multiple frequent washings and dryings....Just have fun with your new hobby!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by ocydroma View Post
another quick question. Once it's been basted, can it be ironed? I heard poly melts easily. If you can, what temp should I use? You our have no idea how much I appreciate you guys taking time to answer my very newb questions. This group has the best people on it EVER!!!!
You can iron anything with poly batting in it. I've never had it melt. And I use a hot setting. I guess I wouldn't leave the iron sit on one spot for very long, but using steam would get the ironing job done quicker with less time for the iron on the quilt.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 AM

Most of the quilts I have made are with poly batting. There are many techniques I use that are "Not By The Book", and I'm good with it. My suggestion is, "if it works for you and you enjoy it, then go for it!" Welcome to the "Quilting World!" I hope you enjoy quilting as much as I do
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM

This proves the old adage: Never say NEVER. It's her opinion but it doesn't mean it's written in stone or is a Rule of Law. I've used poly and in fact, when I first began quiltmaking, a low loft poly was recommended for beginner quilters. Nothing wrong with it, and especially nothing wrong with it in dog and cat beds and crate pads.

You'll run across this 'NEVER' rule again and again before you gain enough experience to disregard it. But you will gain that experience and then those who use the word won't upset you!

Congratulations on joining the sewing/quilting community!
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Use your poly batting for any bloomin' thing you want. It doesn't have to be just for dog bed or practice items. I have learned to close my ears to people who won't use anything but fabric they bought at an LQS for $13 a yard even though the same fabric--exactly the same manufacturer, finishing process, etc--can be had at Wal Mart for $7.49 a yard. These are the same people who refuse to use Coats and Clark thread. They also won't use a poly cotton blend even when it is just the right color for their project. Use and enjoy what you've got. froggyintexas
Old 06-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Your friend may have been mistaken, you can use poly batting in quilts, especially for your furry family. I think it's great for baby quilts, lap quilts, however, I prefer Warm & Natural cotton batting for things like placemats, table runners, etc. I know that you can FMQ on poly batting, as when I was new to quilting a friend asked me to quilt the baby quilt she'd made for her daughter, using lofty batting. Yup, well, nobody told me I couldn't FMQ on lofty batting, so I traced out a bear pattern, about 5-6" and quilted several over the top of the quilt. She was thrilled and even gave me a bunch of 1/2 yard pieces of fabric, although I didn't expect payment, but in the end we were both happy. Hope this helps; but I'm glad you got a super deal on poly batting, good for you.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:23 PM

I don't see anything wrong with poly batting as long as it isn't too thick. I have a poly upstairs that is really thick and hard to quilt. Most poly batting is fine. I use warm and natural or poly or whatever sounds good when I buy batting. go ahead and try working with it and see what you think. Try cotton too and decide which you like. Good luck learning to FMQ.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
you can go ahead and use the batting you purchased- poly batting holds up just fine-even washed in hot water-dried in hot dryer. it is a good choice for practice-and for pet beds/kennel quilts. there are people who simply believe no one should use anything except cotton- allow them their (choice) and when they try to (force their choices on you) simply smile, nod & use what you want.
good advise,,,on all things. hugs