Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Answered prayer-new 'baby' in the house >

Answered prayer-new 'baby' in the house

Answered prayer-new 'baby' in the house

Old 06-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Question Answered prayer-new 'baby' in the house

I have been looking for a Featherweight for quite a few years but have never found one of those "great deals". I look at Craigslist off and on but it seems that they just keep going up in price. Monday, took a quick look and saw a 1951 Centennial in excellent shape (from the pic), including all the attachments, original book and case. It was listed for $300 which was still more than I had. I took a chance and emailed the seller, asking if they would be willing to take less. I explained that I had been looking for one for a long time but since I work in kitty rescue, everytime I save up some money, it seems to end up getting used for emergency vet bills. I hit SEND, said a little prayer and a little while later, received a reply. He asked how much I could spend. As I wrote back, I wanted to convey that I didn't want to insult him but that $150 was all I could do. I was shocked when he wrote back that he and his fiance commended me on my rescue work and that if I could come up with $175, it was mine! Plus they would donate a couple bags of food for the kittys. The next day, I am the proud owner of a beautiful Centennial Featherweight. The lady said it was her grandma's and she only used it a couple of times. I even found the key for the locks. It looks brand new. I plugged it in and....
the motor runs but the needle doesn't go up and down. It won't even move when I turn the wheel. I'm sick. Am I doing something wrong? The guy said it "ran like a top". Can anyone give me any ideas where to start? I have heard so much about the amazing piecing on these little machines so I had my fabric ready and waiting. I sat on the floor and cried. I suppose it could be something as minor as needing a new belt. They said it had been sitting in the basement since the grandmother died in 1959.
I'm hoping some of the experts out there can help me out. I was so excited and feel like a deflated balloon. I would appreciate ANY help. Thank you.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:15 PM

I'm sorry I can't help. I just wanted to thank you also for your rescue work. I think there is a sewing machine section on this board, try asking your questions there. Crossing my fingers it is something minor.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 PM

you need to oil it first and stop running the motor unless you've done oiling the machine. here's THE MANUAL THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD . it's on page 15. i am assuming since it's been sitting for years unused, it needs some extensive oiling. probably metals are all sticking together. the first thing you need to do when you buy a vintage/antique or any sewing machine is to oil it first before using.

Last edited by singerguy; 06-11-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Have you given her a good oiling and checked the belt?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:24 PM

I am sure that you will need to clean and oil it. It is a simple enough job to clean it and oil. I buy my stuff from sew-classics. You can also get a manual free from off this site-- some people who have posted on here with cleaning them up. I am sure that it is a simple fix to get it up and running. Great getting a FW after looking for so long.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 PM

That's why I started in the "Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts" thread. I have seen questions about Featherweights here before. If nothing shows up, I'll look for another thread to try. Thank you for your kind words. I'm fostering 5 6 week old kittens and they are reminding me it's time for their late night snack, lol. Once they are fed, it's off to bed. Its lots of work but the rewards are many. I've already had 25 kittens come thru since the end of February. All but 6 were bottle babies.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:29 PM

Thank you. Once I saw that the needle didn't move, I didn't touch it again. I appreciate your sending the manual. What kind of oil should I use? It has the tube of the original grease but it doesn't look really good. It also has the original oil can and there is some oil in it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi View Post
Thank you. Once I saw that the needle didn't move, I didn't touch it again. I appreciate your sending the manual. What kind of oil should I use? It has the tube of the original grease but it doesn't look really good. It also has the original oil can and there is some oil in it.
you're welcome. use clear sewing machine oil LIKE THIS ONE for all the metal parts that move and ONLY use gease/lubricant for the gears. some people here are ok in using old singer lubricant. but to me i'd rather buy a new one and use it instead.

Last edited by singerguy; 06-11-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM

How will I know if the belt is good or should I just get a new one? It looks good, no cracks but seems to have some 'give' in it. I guess I expected the needle to move when I manually turned the wheel but if the belt isn't tight enough, it wouldn't allow it to move up and down. I'm beginning to feel a little better. It came with the original manual also so it has all the info about oiling/greasing. I should have realized that it was going to need some attention. Stupid me. I have never had an old machine so it's all new to me. I really appreciate the help.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi View Post
How will I know if the belt is good or should I just get a new one? It looks good, no cracks but seems to have some 'give' in it. I guess I expected the needle to move when I manually turned the wheel but if the belt isn't tight enough, it wouldn't allow it to move up and down. I'm beginning to feel a little better. It came with the original manual also so it has all the info about oiling/greasing. I should have realized that it was going to need some attention. Stupid me. I have never had an old machine so it's all new to me. I really appreciate the help.
my advise - since it's been sitting for ages, get a new belt. belt are cheap and since you're rehabbing it anyway, you might as well change it too. here's how to REPLACE A BELT .