Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
how can I remove mildew from an old polyester quilt >

how can I remove mildew from an old polyester quilt

how can I remove mildew from an old polyester quilt

Old 06-15-2014, 03:48 PM

Default how can I remove mildew from an old polyester quilt

I was asked by a stranger one day, a couple weeks ago, if I could repair his quilt his Grandmother made in the 70's..when she was in her 90's. I agreed to look at it. She had hand sewn every seam...and they are all coming undone. Nothing needed to be replaced...just re-sewn. So I agreed. It is really in sad shape. I am having to un-sew every joint..and resew. At first he offered me $25. I told him.."We'll talk." Then, since Grandma didn't put any batting in it..he now wants that. I told him the price just went up $40 more. This is the most god-awful looking thing you ever saw...and it is made from double knit polyester. But he loves it because she made it especially for him. Then I noticed mildew. He told me it lived for a long time in his trunk. (Really loved it, I guess). I don't know how to get the mildew out. It will be a couple weeks before I reach that step...but any ideas? It is quite bright and colorful and don't want to bleach it. Any suggestions? I did call him and told him it was going to more like over $100. He readily agreed. He laughed and commented that after we first talked he realized he sounded like a real cheapskate. LOL. BTW...what would you guys charge...keeping in mind I have to furnish the batting...which I already have and I think it was something like $35-$40. HELP!
Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM

I don't know if it will work on polyester but my niece just got mildew out of a t shirt by soaking it in oxyclean.
Sounds like a lot of work. He only wanted to pay you $25? goodness.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Power Poster

These are times that we need to walk away from situations. It is sad that a quilt has mildew. I have never had to deal with that problem before. What does he want to do with it?? If this continues to spin out of control. I would suggest that the good portions if any, are cut up and professionally framed for descendants of this lady. Just a suggestion. Sometimes quilts are beyond repair.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Mildew? That's a tough one. Febreze and put it outdoors in a protected location for a few days? If you have any breathing problems, you should not work on this! Maybe you could give him alternatives such as the framing suggestion.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:13 PM

the mildew will go away w/ washing in hot water w/ a color safe bleach like oxyclean. A friend has a similar quilt that his mother made him and he loves it - batting might make it too heavy.....will that be a reason to get you out of the batting??
Old 06-15-2014, 05:25 PM

If it's poly fabric could you use fleece for both backing and don't use batting? This would make it cuddly and keep your cost down. Fleece works with cotton quilt tops, might be great for poly as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:55 PM

Read up on ammonia. I add it to my wash cycle. It removes odors and mildew.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Polyester double knit is virtually indestructible! I like the idea of soaking it in Oxy-Clean, but I believe this will only get rid of any smell and kill any sports; nothing that I know of will get rid of the black spots of mildew.

I can understand why he loves this quilt.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Go to you tube, and type in life hacks to rid mildew. there's some amazing stuff out there. good luck
Old 06-16-2014, 04:53 AM

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Mildew-from-Fabric