Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
spring handle scissors - do you oil yours? >

spring handle scissors - do you oil yours?

spring handle scissors - do you oil yours?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:06 AM

Default spring handle scissors - do you oil yours?

Several years ago I purchased a pair of the Fiskars scissors with a spring in the handle. I love them. One of the best quilting purchases that I have made

They are still very sharp, but from time to time they get "stiff" (for lack of a better word). The other day I was complaining about them and my son says "they probably need oiled". He took them into the kitchen and put some vegetable oil on the spring.....and wow that made a big difference. All loose and springy again.

Do you guys oil your spring scissors? If you do what do you oil them with? I mean the vegetable oil did the trick but that seems odd.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I probably would have used sewing machine oil on them.

But whatever worked!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

I haven't had that problem yet. if you cut lots of flannel, etc that may be why they get difficult. but glad you got them to work better.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

The spring in those scissors can wear out over time. I don't know about now, but Fiskars used to send replacement springs if you complained.

In your case, I would suspect that lint got caught between the blades. Oil would lubricate that area and cause the lint to become less binding. I think sewing machine oil would last longer than vegetable oil.

Did your son take the blades apart to oil? Because of the spring action, it's probably possible to take the blades apart to clean and oil before re-assembling.

Any metal parts that move against each other can need oiling to help with the sliding action. This includes the pivoting area of a pair of scissors.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-06-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM

Thank you for your replies. No I don't think my son took my scissors apart.. but that is something to think about. I will have to check into the sewing machine oil, I don't have any in the house now.

I have been snipping a lot lately.....making a jean rag quilt maybe there is lint flying all over

Thanks again
Old 07-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Fiskars warranties most of their products. If you email them explaining that the scissors don't work, they usually send you a new one. My rotary cutters blade would not stay out when I put pressure on it to cut. I emailed them and I think they asked me to email a photo of my cutter. They replaced it. A friend mentioned that hers did the same thing. I told her what I'm telling you, she will be getting a new one in the mail anyday. It's nice that they back their products.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I use Heritage Spring Loaded scissors. The spring is industrial strength. They will last a lifetime. They are easier on my hands then the Fiskars too.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use Heritage Spring Loaded scissors. The spring is industrial strength. They will last a lifetime. They are easier on my hands then the Fiskars too.

I also have them. They are extremely sharp. I did learn that if I cut with the "hook" part on the handle on top instead of the latch that it wouldn't "catch" as often.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post

How long is that blade? Looks short from here.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Machine oil. Vegetable oil will gum up and make things worse down the road.