Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
upate on the Black Universal: pictures attached >

upate on the Black Universal: pictures attached

upate on the Black Universal: pictures attached

Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Default upate on the Black Universal: pictures attached

machine in the house. She is as attractive as I thought she was in the store. These pictures are before any kind of restoration.
Serial Number 33779: Model number S104421 Made in Japan. US patent
Face plate: Universal Deluxe Family Sewing Machine
I attempted some research last night. Couldn't get beyond that she is probably a Post-WWII clone. don't know what she is a clone of, don't know if she is low shank or high because that is knowledge I just don't have. She appears to be a straight stitch only but she does have reverse.
When I go to buy the motor belt, thread pins and more bobbins, what am I asking for? The site that J. Miller gave me in previous post, lists by Singer and I am not sure what I need to ask for therefore.
Attached Thumbnails 1-imgp0002.jpg   1-imgp0008.jpg   1-imgp0009.jpg   1-imgp0011.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 AM

julia, That's a 15 clone. A nice one, in good shape from the pics.

They were all made from just after WWII to the 60s I do believe. Lots and lots of manufacturers of them, and hundreds of brands.

The belts are easy, two of my clones have a 196386 belt and I think there's another one that will work too. But I can't remember the number right now and I haven't written it down.

The thread pins are the tap in variety. If you use use large cone thread or the cross wound thread on a stand alone thread holder you can get spool pins with holes in them for the thread. Sew-Classic has those. Make sure you tap the pin in the pin hole, not an oil or pivot bushing hole.

The machine uses standard, available nearly everywhere low shank feet. Sew-Classic has quite a selection of those as well.

It uses standard Class 15 bobbins and 15x1 needles seated Flat to the Right.

Is there any J-A or J-C numbers or manufacturer names stamped under the bed? Those could help ID the maker.

FYI: Sew-Classic has instructions on how to measure your machine to find the right belt size if you do not have a belt. ~And~ a page with information on how to determine which feet and accessories your machine has.

Lots of information on that site. Punch it up and search through it. Lots to learn there.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 07-16-2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 AM

It is a Japanese made clone of a Singer model 15. It uses standard 15x1 sewing machine needles and low shank feet along with class 15 bobbins. All are very easily available. A Singer model 15 owners manual will probably be close enough to get you by if you don't have a manual. You can download one for free at Singerco.com.
If Joe sent you to Sew-Classic.com they should be able to help you with the belt and spool pins. If you don't already have some, you'll want some sewing machine oil or Tri-flo as well. I haven't had to use Sew-Classic yet but they have a very good reputation here. Just let them know the parts are for a 15 clone.
It should be a very good machine when you get it running again.
Rodney

EDIT: Joe types faster than me.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Rodney, How it came up first I don't know. I had to edit it cos somehow the system bunched it all into one glob. No deviding lines to separate my ideas.

LOL ..... Sew-Classic also has a free downloadable generic .pdf manual that will work just fine on that machine.

Joe
Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 AM

I knew the two of you would have the answers. I was able to run her in the store for a few moments before the rubber bands that someone had substituted for a belt broke. She runs nice and quiet with no hesitations. I am thinking she is a great addition to my collect: Pfaff 51, Bernina 830 ( the original 80's one), a 1942 Featherweight and a White treadle in a parlor cabinet.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM

no stamping on the lip or underside, just the Made in Japan on the motor with the serial number.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:17 PM

That's not unusual, several of mine are devoid of markings too.

Joe
Old 07-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I have one just like it and I love it..Looks great..