Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Question >

Batting Question

Batting Question

Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM

Default Batting Question

I have just finished hand piecing my EPP grandmother's wild flower garden quilt. Now I want to hand quilt it. Since I've never hand pieced or hand quilted before I could use some help.

What kind of batting is good for hand quilting? Cotton, wool, poly? And if you have a favorite brand that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Joan
Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM

I like Warm & Natural or Warm & White, both are cotton and low loft.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Wool would be my first choice, and I use Quilter's Dream wool. Quilter's Dream cotton as my second choice if the price of wool is an issue. Personally, I don't like hand quilting through the scrim of W&N at all and I don't use poly for anything.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

I am not a hand quilter. But I have heard that wool is wonderful for hand quilting.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 PM

I like warm & natural cotton. It's what I'll be using for my GFG as soon as it gets cool enough to sit under a quilt to hand quilt it. Do you have any pictures? I'm sure it's lovely!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I love the Warm Company batting but not for hand quilting. Wool is easier to needle and many quilters like polyester or poly blends. Warm and Natural is a bit thick and stiffer due to the scrim. I'd say make some smaller sandwiches and see what works for you.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 PM

I learned recently that there is an up and down side to batting. Its' easier to sew if the punched side is up
Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 PM

I love hand quilting and have done a few. Do you have a quilting frame or will you be quilting in a hoop? If this is your first hand quilting, I would suggest that you take a few scraps of batting that you have around and make a sample sandwich for practice. I've used warm and natural but I'm not fond of it for hand quilting. It is great for machine quilting. My reasons are that it is dense and in my opinion, harder to get small stitches. The thinner the batting, the smaller stitches I am able to make. I used a cotton/poly blend on the last quilt I did by hand and the stitches turned out so nice. I don't remember the brand. I got it at my LQS and it was for summer weight quilts. I've never worked on wool so I can't give any ideas on that. Good luck. Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 PM

Wool or silk batts hand needle the most easily.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I learned recently that there is an up and down side to batting. Its' easier to sew if the punched side is up
I believe that's only Warm and Natural. Most battings (such as Hobbs 80/20) do not have an up and down side.

Any batting with scrim will be harder to hand quilt. Warm and Natural is needlepunched through scrim.

Wool is the nicest to hand quilt. Needles easily and the result is very nice. My choice would be Hobbs wool.

If not wool, then Hobbs 80/20 is easy to hand quilt and has a bit of loft and softness to it.

It's not only the fiber content of the batting that makes it easy or difficult to quilt. How the batting is manufactured makes a huge difference. Loft affects it too. I wouldn't want a high loft batting for that reason.

Last edited by Prism99; 07-19-2014 at 07:11 PM.