Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Haven't posted for a while feel my pain? >

Haven't posted for a while feel my pain?

Haven't posted for a while feel my pain?

Old 08-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Default Haven't posted for a while feel my pain?

I have to stop everything and clear my studio so workman can get to the windows to replace them. I worked for
Six hours and can't believe how much I accomplished. I will take pictures and post the cleared pictures. I don't want to post the the before pictures, I am ashamed that it got so bad. The daughter I paid to help me said she will call hoarders next time. LOL I feel for people who go through life's trials and can raise above the turmoil to survive. Every time I hear about a hoarder I know the pain of life's kick in the pants events. My area is 24 by 14 feet. So clearing it was no small feat. Still not done but lots better. Debating get going down tonight to work an hour or so.Once I start something it's hard to let I t go until I finish it. I have 64 bolts of fabric in another room in the back that has to be cleared to replace the windows. Haven't started there yet. I donated a couple of bolts to church but haven't gotten to the heavy stuff yet. I don't want my children to deal with this when I die so getting a handle on it now. Anyone else in this position?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:32 PM

No, I'm not in that position but I want to pat you on the back and cheer you on. I know it is difficult to part with things but you are accepting the challenge and working through it. Good for you. And keep going. You'll be so happy with your space when it's done.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:45 PM

I've been working on my studio for the entire summer. I can finally see the end in sight and am so glad that I finally did it. Everything was out of control. Too much fabric, too much stored away and hard to get to, too many things. I have de-stashed, given away, and reorganized what is important for me to keep. I feel so good about myself and my studio. Let's compare pictures when we are done. I posted pictures earlier today in my "wire shelving" thread of all my quilting fabric wrapped on comic boards and arranged for easy selection and usage. It's so "pretty!"
Old 08-01-2014, 07:28 PM

I feel your pain. I recently moved and had to down size also. I gave away till it actually hurt, but I still have more then I will probably live to make. I made alot of other quilters happy though!!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:54 PM

Oh yes, skothing! I feel your pain where it hurts the most!! Your DD's comment about the hoarders is exactly why I refuse any offers of help in my "dungeon." My space is 12 x 12 and loaded to the gills! For the past year or so, there is a path to the machine area and one to the scrapbooking area. (I won't even let the exterminator in there.)I've been trying to "finish" projects that are stacked or lying around before I can clear out but it doesn't get any better. The ideal situation would be to completely empty the room and go from there, but I have no place to use as a holding area. I've seriously thought about renting a POD.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:48 AM

Enjoy the new windows! They make a world of difference. We just replaced 7 old icky basement windows a few months ago. Now, I actually enjoy going downstairs to a formerly "scary" basement. The light is incredible.

sandy
Old 08-02-2014, 09:17 AM

I feel your pain. My son made a comment that opened my eyes -Mom how is it the entire house is always so clean and neat and this one room looks like a tornado or two played in here. I had to replace the floor and flooring a few months later. For 3 days a girlfriend and I emptied out the room her son moved all the heavy furniture. While every thing was topsy-turvy I sorted and organized fabrics into future quilt bundles. Put all my upholstering fabrics in totes. Bought new matching shelves. Planned the room on graph paper and now it is a joy to go in there and work. I've actually regained my enthusiasm. It was a lot of work and I never want to do that again. So I make sure that no matter how late or how tired I am I put every thing back where it belongs before closing the door. It is a great feeling to now feel happy to enter my sewing room.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:04 AM

I too feel your pain...I'm in the same boat...and my grown children say the same thing to me... I don't think they realize how much stuff a person can accumulate over a lifetime. I've been trying to organize as much as I can when I am home...but I babysit an hour away most days for the daughter who calls me a hoarder...lol. The thing that opened my eyes was my parents passing in February. Dad died unexpectedly on Valentine's Day...mom had a stroke at his funeral and passed the next day. They really were hoarders. I'm an only child and not only have my own household issues to deal with, but I'm trying to clean, clear and purge my parents large home as well. I'll think good thoughts for you....please send some my way too.

blessings....kathymarie
Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 AM

My philosophy is cleaning out and letting go allows more and better things in life to come in. So clean reorganize give things to those you know that can put them to use, then move on to enjoy a space that has room to create in.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
. Planned the room on graph paper and now it is a joy to go in there and work. I've actually regained my enthusiasm. It was a lot of work and I never want to do that again. So I make sure that no matter how late or how tired I am I put every thing back where it belongs before closing the door. It is a great feeling to now feel happy to enter my sewing room.
that is the key to it all, I found via Flylady about 15 years ago. Once everything is in it's place and the clutter is gone, Tidy up each time you leave your sewing area. Talk about long term joy!!!! I can always walk in my quilt room and just sit down and sew. Lovely...I have before photos too, and I look at them every couple of months.