Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brand name fabric and quality >

Brand name fabric and quality

Brand name fabric and quality

Old 08-03-2014, 03:15 AM

Default Brand name fabric and quality

I read a lot of questions asking about sources for quality of fabric. It is assumed some places sell less quality than others. Is there a brand name that you find inferior to others. I see brand names other than the obvious " top" names.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 AM

Are you referring to brand name fabric or stores that sell branded name fabrics? It really wasn't too clear to me, others may understand better than I.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Eventally you will learn what fabric(s) you prefer to use. Some of the ones I prefer are considered "lesser" brands.

I do think VIP / Cranston fabrics vary more than some other lines in finish, weight, and thread count. I am talking about fabrics purchased over many years and from different stores.

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-03-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

We really are not suppose to leave any negative comments on brands of fabric. If you go into a LQS, you will see mostly quality fabric. When you want to check the quality, place your fingers behind one layer of fabric and you can see your skin thru the fabric, that is poor quality. Be very careful when you see fabric being sold on a bolt with a really low price. It is just something you learn. Hoffman, Moda and Timeless Treasures are my favorite fabric to buy. 2nd quality fabric will normally NOT be on the original manufacturer's bolt.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:53 AM

It's impossible to answer questions like this. "Quality" is a personal opinion. What I consider quality, you may consider garbage and vice versa. You have your own standards and when you find fabrics that meet those standards, you will have your answer. Meanwhile, enjoy the hunt!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I can't believe how many fabrics feel like cardboard these days... I have to "feel" to test for quality unless buying from an LYS online.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:50 AM

The thing it is that most stores have a variety of different quality fabrics. Even Walmarts have some that when you feel them you know they'll either hold up or not. It depends on the project and subject as to how much I put into it. If its a drag around quilt that will be washed so much and probably won't hold up that long no matter what I'll not use the lowest grade fabric but I also won't use the $15 a yrd fabric. You get so you know by the feel. I check all places when it comes to fabrics
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 AM

A friend of mine who used to own a quilt shop said that over the years she had her shop, RJR had reduced the quality of their fabrics to a point where she stopped buying them.

At a hand quilting class I took several years ago, the instructor complained that Hoffman had reduced the thread count of their fabrics.

At the quilt shop where I worked, we were never in love with VIP.

The distressing thing is that you will find all of these brands (and there are probably others) in quilt shops. Yardage prices being what they are, you would expect your local quilt shop owner to be screening fabrics for their quality and then only stocking those higher quality greige goods because that is one of the things that sets them apart from a Wal-Mart or Jo-Ann's. Like everything else, it's up to the consumer to stay on top of it, daunting though it may be.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Rather than talk about the fabric companies I don't like I'll tell you who I think has terrific fabric. Moda #1 - love the Moda Bella solids and everything I've ever bought from them (and it's been plenty). Red Rooster - love the hand to this fabric. Riley Blake, bought my first piece, a solid that I adored and it's on my very, very good list. Marcus has great darks - some heavy but they stand up to washing and the blacks stay black. There are a few brands I stay away from - got some horrible cuts and will never buy again. I'm sure there are others I am leaving out but these are my favs.

Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
I read a lot of questions asking about sources for quality of fabric. It is assumed some places sell less quality than others. Is there a brand name that you find inferior to others. I see brand names other than the obvious " top" names.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some fabric manufacturers make different quality fabrics depending on which store will sell them, i.e., Walmart, Joann's, LQS.