Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding, Fabric Fraying & Pre Washing >

Binding, Fabric Fraying & Pre Washing

Binding, Fabric Fraying & Pre Washing

Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Default Binding, Fabric Fraying & Pre Washing

I bought a quilt kit that uses Andover Fabrics. http://www.needleinahayesstack.biz/chillingsworth.html

I've never used fabrics from this manufacturer before. The fabrics frayed a lot but I just starched them heavily and shortened my stitch length to compensate. I am almost ready to make my binding strips and attach by machine and I will hand sew to the back. The quilt kit was very generous with fabrics. The fabric that was included in the kit for the binding seems to be a looser weave. This same fabric but in a different color was used in the quilt so I know it has a tendency to fray. As I am not concerned with fabric loss due to shrinkage, I am considering zig zagging the edges and washing the binding fabric to tighten up the weave. I usually cut my binding strips on the bias (personal preference) but I will have to cut SOG due to what I have available. I also pre washed the backing fabrics. My question is this: If I prewash the binding fabric am I risking that the edges will become skewed when I am finished with the quilt and wash it prior to gifting??? I used Warm & Natural batting & did not pre shrink it.

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 08-29-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Hi, there -

When I first read this, I thought you were considering washing the binding fabric after it was cut. But you are asking about washing the binding fabric as a big piece, with zigzagged edges (I think).

Wouldn't it also work to cut the binding and then run a stitching line of small, straight stitches, using a thinner thread like Aurifil, to stabilize the edges while you are sewing it down? I'm doing that now with some very trying fabrics that not only fray but STRETCH, and it's working well. You could even sew the lines down at the proper distance from each other and then cut afterward.

Just an idea . . .

Charlotte
Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM

Th
Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
Hi, there -

When I first read this, I thought you were considering washing the binding fabric after it was cut. But you are asking about washing the binding fabric as a big piece, with zigzagged edges (I think).

Wouldn't it also work to cut the binding and then run a stitching line of small, straight stitches, using a thinner thread like Aurifil, to stabilize the edges while you are sewing it down? I'm doing that now with some very trying fabrics that not only fray but STRETCH, and it's working well. You could even sew the lines down at the proper distance from each other and then cut afterward.

Just an idea . . .

Charlotte
i haven't cut the strips yet; I would be pre washing the fabric which is a 1/3 yd piece
Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 PM

I definitely would put a zig zag or some type of overcast stitch on those edges. I have started using a narrow line of serging on fabrics before I prewash. I wash in hot water on gentle cycle but use a regular spin cycle to remove as much Water as possible and press dry.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:43 PM

If you have not prewashed the other fabrics, I would not prewash the binding. I would be very worried that when you wash the quilt before gifting, the other fabrics will shrink and the binding would become very rippled.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:29 PM

I should have included that none of the fabrics in the quilt top are pre washed. My batting is Warm & Natural and not pre shrunk. My backing fabrics however have been prewashed. I'm worried that if I don't pre wash the looser weave binding fabric then when I do wash it the weave will tighten up and warp my binding.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Maybe you could just apply some FrayCheck along the edges?
Old 08-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

I would definitely prewash the binding fabric to tighten up the weave before cutting the binding strips. This will not cause distortion later on, when you wash the quilt for the first time.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would definitely prewash the binding fabric to tighten up the weave before cutting the binding strips. This will not cause distortion later on, when you wash the quilt for the first time.
Thank you! This was the answer I was hoping for!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 PM

I would just wet the binding fabric and iron it dry.