Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Machines and Fraying >

Washing Machines and Fraying

Washing Machines and Fraying

Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 410
Default Washing Machines and Fraying

As I just posted in another thread, I used to have a traditional top-loader with agitator, and I didn't prewash because it destroyed too much of the fabric. My current machine is a front-loader and most fabric only frays a tiny bit. What is everyone’s experience with washing machine types or even brands and how much the fabric frays when it’s washed? I’m wondering if my experience is characteristic of the machine types or if there’s some other factor.
Mitty is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 03:35 AM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: here
Posts: 722
Default

Don't know. Haven't pre-washed any fabric in 50 years.
popover is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:03 AM
  #3  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

Originally Posted by popover View Post
Don't know. Haven't pre-washed any fabric in 50 years.
me either, but if I were to, I would use the gentle cycle, or whatever the machine you have states as the least agitating.....not wanting to beat the "new" fabric to smithereens!
Geri B is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
crashnquilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lebanon, Missouri
Posts: 602
Default

I always pre wash my fabric yardage. I have a top load and wash the fabrics on normal cycle and warm water. If I fear bleeding fabrics I use a cup of Epsom salt. Used to have a front load washer and did the same. Yes there wouldbe some raveling but not bad. As far as brands so IMHO DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG! I've had my set for less than a year, dryer replaced twice and washer once. They are now making the same sounds as the others. Guess I'm shooting for a new set yet again!
crashnquilt is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 AM
  #5  
Power Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,276
Default

My experience is the same as yours. My top loader was murder on fabrics, but I can throw all my yardage in my new front loader and get just a few threads here and there. As advertised, front loaders are much more gentle because there is no agitator.
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:17 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 30
Default

I always pre-wash my fabrics. But first, I serge the cut edges and never have a problem with fraying. Also, if I don't sew it right away, I know if it's serged, that it has already been washed.
JeriMae is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:19 AM
  #7  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mountians
Posts: 7,076
Default

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
I always pre wash my fabric yardage. I have a top load and wash the fabrics on normal cycle and warm water. If I fear bleeding fabrics I use a cup of Epsom salt. Used to have a front load washer and did the same. Yes there wouldbe some raveling but not bad. As far as brands so IMHO DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG! I've had my set for less than a year, dryer replaced twice and washer once. They are now making the same sounds as the others. Guess I'm shooting for a new set yet again!
So sad....I love my fisher paykel....over 20 yrs old.....bought it when the kids were in sports and I was doing 3 loads every day. It spins so fast, it throws all the water out, and my dryer cycle went from 1 hr 15 min to 35 min (that is for jeans and towel cycles too). If it died, I would get another one.

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laun...-machines.html
Jane Quilter is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:20 AM
  #8  
Power Poster
 
dunster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA
Posts: 14,465
Default

I think the amount of fraying is more a function of the fabric than of the washer. I pre-wash everything, and I bought a new top loader to get rid of the front loader that came with this house. (I want to be the one controlling how much water I use - that's not the washer's job IMHO.) I don't see much fraying, and I don't do any preparation of the fabric before it goes in the washer. The small amount of fraying I do have is easily cut off.

If you think your washer destroys fabric, why would you put your clothing in it?
dunster is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 05:53 AM
  #9  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,018
Default

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
So sad....I love my fisher paykel....over 20 yrs old.....bought it when the kids were in sports and I was doing 3 loads every day. It spins so fast, it throws all the water out, and my dryer cycle went from 1 hr 15 min to 35 min (that is for jeans and towel cycles too). If it died, I would get another one.

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/laun...-machines.html

I have never, ever heard of this brand...and when clicked on link - cannot be found.......
Geri B is offline  
Old 03-13-2017, 06:05 AM
  #10  
Power Poster
 
sewbizgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 23,126
Default

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I have never, ever heard of this brand...and when clicked on link - cannot be found.......
The link worked for me...
sewbizgirl is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
auntpiggylpn
Main
9
08-29-2014 05:51 PM
bearisgray
Main
22
09-14-2012 02:26 PM
Nanamoms
Main
78
10-21-2011 07:30 PM
grammy17
Main
7
01-15-2011 08:40 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.