Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Machines and Fraying >

Washing Machines and Fraying

Washing Machines and Fraying

Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 PM

I have a Sears Kenmore top-loading washer -- We got it not too long (less than a month) after we moved into our new house in August 2000. It does not damage the fabric, but I do serge the cut ends of the fabric, and I don't trim the selveges off until after the fabric is washed. It takes such a short time to run it through the serger, and I really have not experienced any damage to the fabric. My dryer, on the other hand, was given (new) to us by my parents back in 1978. My son has overhauled it several times, and the heating element has been replaced at least a half-dozen times. BUT it's a terriffic machine, so as long as we can get the parts to fix it, I guess we will. My son has replaced the bearings, all the belts, just about everything that could possibly be replaced. It's by far more inexpensive that purchasing new, and some of the newer stuff is "junk". Perhaps we just got lucky when we got this machine. As I said, I do serge the cut ends of the fabric because what little fraying you get when washing fabric will tie in knots and that takes far more time than running the serger. JMHO, for what it's worth. I've heard of the brand mentioned -- fisher paykel -- that brand is a sponsor on many of the PBS shows involving cooking, baking, etc. -- The shows -- America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country TV, Martha Bakes -- there are a lot of shows sponsored by fisher-paykel.