Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
just joined & could use some help with my adiction >

just joined & could use some help with my adiction

just joined & could use some help with my adiction

Old 09-12-2014, 09:14 AM

Default just joined & could use some help with my adiction

Hello everyone. this is going to sound like an AA meeting. My name is jim and I've jut joined in search of knowledge and help. As of two months ago, I didn't even know how to sew a single stich. I've worn the same style of leather cap for 20yrs and just found out they are no longer available - due to Sandy Fifer (Fifer Leather -Seattle) retiring. I freaked out, this cap is part of my identity - I have long time friends that have never seen me without it on. This prompted me to somehow make them on my own. I deconstructed a cap, made a pattern & started making demos out of fabric & then felt on my moms donated Golden touch & sew. My Aunt & Uncle gave me a Model 66, two weeks ago. It needed rewiring & cleaning, but it sews great and will handle leather when I'm ready... this started my addiction.
In the last 2 weeks I've acquired 5 vintage singers for a grand total of $53.
I was given the 1939 model 66 - Godzilla finish, bought a 1905 model 66 -Red eye for $10, a 1930 66 for $3 at auction, a 1955 15-91 and a 1950 201-2 for $20 each from a nice lady down the street.

The 201 is being cleaned, oiled/greased & tuned up at a local shop. the 66's, I cleaned & oiled myself - they stitch great & cleaned up with some elbow grease and oil.

My issue is with the 15-91 The clear coat / varnish is cracking, yellowed & peeling badly. Some portions have no varnish & the rest can be picked away with a fingernail. The decals are in great shape. I don't want to mess up the black paint or decals, but that peeling stuff has to go!

Could someone tell me how to find info here, how to follow the threads/discussion groups/helpful people & find info for myself?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help someone so green & needy!!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Hey Jim, welcome to QB, where unfortunately we are ALL enablers. Glenn has a very nice tutorial on fixing the shellac coating on these old machines. His instructions are easy to follow and if you have any trouble he's always willing to help.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t186522.html
Old 09-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Jim, you can use he search feature to help find info on the board. It is limited in it's capacity, but it is helpful. Also, look at the Vintage Machine thread. It has tons of information and you will quickly find out who does the most restoration work. Those folks will be a wealth of knowledge for you.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 AM

Jim, as said above by Croce, we are enablers. As such, I extend congrats on your procurements. And....... We want pics! For some of it is not possible to collect so we drool and ooh and ahh over the brave ones' purchases. Some of us can't pass by a post title, "Look what I got". Oh, and welcome.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Welcome Jim!
I'd tell you to run away while you still can but it's too late for that.
Crocee has you pointed in the right direction. Also take the time to read the sticky on cleaning these old machines and be sure to watch Muv's videos.
Shellac is the clear coat on your 15-91. It dissolves in alcohol. Glenn's tutorial will help you with that.

Some general advice, use sewing machine oil to clean and lube these machines. 3 in 1 oil is too thick and avoid products like WD-40. If you do use a penetrating oil, clean it all off thoroughly afterward and lube with sewing machine oil. Also avoid water based cleaners and strong solvents to protect your finish and decals.

Pictures of your machines and your hats are both welcome.
Rodney
Old 09-12-2014, 11:18 AM

Welcome, Jim. Other fine folks have pointed you in the right direction(s) so I can't add anything except it sounds as though you've been busy and you've managed a great haul of machines. Reading about these great deals keeps me thinking I'll find more, too! (A 201-2 for $20? SCORE!!)

And we love pictures. Show us what you got!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Banned

Welcome Jim. I can't add to what's already been said except for saying yes! pics please! Can't wait for you to get that 201-2 back and sew with her, I think you'll find she's the best of the bunch(with the 15-91 a close second).

Cari
Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM

I'm new here also....have read every single page I think in the threads...my head is spinning with info.
I have a great condition FW, no case....sews great, just has peeling paint on bottom edges..leaving it
alone for now....was given a 301 that I cleaned oiled myself and it runs beautifully. It just has a super
stinky case that I am trying to rid the smell. I just bought a 404 for $24.50 at a thrift store....and a friend
said she "has some machine in a round wooden case up high on a shelf, that she hasn't touched in years"
if I can get it down, it's mine....what model goes in the wooden coffin case?

you all are great with sharing the knowledge and love the enthusiasm for these oldies...I'm hooked,
to the annoyance of my husband....(grin)
mish in NJ
Old 09-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Oh My- fresh folks to enable!!!!!! Jim- looks like you are off and running with a full case of the "They don't make 'em like this anymore" flu. Your home will be overflowing in vintage and antique machines by New Years. And Mish- welcome also. there are several machines that fit in the dome top wooden cases. Wipe out the stinky case with a damp cloth and a weak solution of Oxyclean, wait 10 minutes and wipe with a clean damp cloth. Leave it open in a sunny place for a few days. Sometimes that's all it takes. An internet or Quilting Board search will yield many more extensive treatments like activated charcoal but moisture and mold are usually the culprits affecting the horsehide glue of old cases. Be sure the 301 is clean inside, and replace the felt drip pad inside it's base if it has one like the featherweights do. Can't wait to see what your next acquisitions are!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mish in NJ View Post
I'm new here also....have read every single page I think in the threads...my head is spinning with info.
I have a great condition FW, no case....sews great, just has peeling paint on bottom edges..leaving it
alone for now....was given a 301 that I cleaned oiled myself and it runs beautifully. It just has a super
stinky case that I am trying to rid the smell. I just bought a 404 for $24.50 at a thrift store....and a friend
said she "has some machine in a round wooden case up high on a shelf, that she hasn't touched in years"
if I can get it down, it's mine....what model goes in the wooden coffin case?

you all are great with sharing the knowledge and love the enthusiasm for these oldies...I'm hooked,
to the annoyance of my husband....(grin)
mish in NJ
Welcome Mish. I did the same thing when I joined, spent a week reading everything. There were several models that came in or have been put into a bentwood case. You'll just have to get it down and open it up! If it's locked and there's no key, there are several work arounds depending on what kind of lock it is. Usually a small flat blade screwdriver will work. And be sure to post pics of your surprise machine when you get it.

Cari