Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 15  "RAF"  added to the collection >

Singer 15 "RAF" added to the collection

Singer 15 "RAF" added to the collection

Old 09-14-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Singer 15 "RAF" added to the collection

I just love when things align - this got posted on craigslist just a few days before I was making a trip into the Twin Cities - the seller had tried to sell it at a garage sale earlier and was moving - so priced it at $50 with hopes it would move.

And it has - all the way to SD. It came with the rather basic, common tall leg singer cabinet. One that I have three stools that match, but so far had not ended up with a cabinet. So that worked great, as I would have bought it regardless if I had a desire for the cabinet or not.

I paid $50 for this with the cabinet.

This one is allocated March 12 1935. It's interesting in that the first Singer 15 with reverse (15-88 to 91) series started coming out as early as 1932 in the US. I know this is not a "K" but assume it was a UK made machine with that decal pattern.

Later today DH and I are going to start playing "shift the sh. t" and getting the machine shed cleaned out so we can start taking it down to rebuild it as a real "Machine shed". We hope to have it complete by the end of October, and then we'll start moving the machines into their new home. I've got to curtail my acquisition for a while - and then get refocused and stop expanding what I'm looking for.

I also picked up another Free vs machine in a small parlor type cabinet. I already have one, but the cabinet is in rough shape and this cabinet it near perfect. For $50, it's easier than trying to create the missing molding or fix up the busted bentwood drawers.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 AM

For why don't you post pics of the machine in it's cabinet? It looks all cold and miserable sitting there naked like that.

Nice machine by the way.

Joe
Old 09-14-2014, 07:26 AM

Great machine Cathy. I found one of these listed in Phoenix AZ and had it shipped via car in December. A friend was going on a road trip in this general direction and he brought it to me as a Christmas gift. Listing price was $25 and came from a person who was downsizing their collection that had somehow gotten out of hand. The # on mine is AD818577 Allotment date of December 5, 1934. All ISMACS says is that its a 15, not sure of the type.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:58 AM

Nice machine and yes i have to echo wanting to see the cabinet too. Are the RAF decals less common? I haven't seen many machines with them.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:59 AM

I haven't seen you posting much Cathy. Good to see things are well. Great looking machine, it looks nearly perfect. I'd like to see the cabinet and the Free in the parlor cabinet too.
Rodney
Old 09-14-2014, 04:09 PM

Love the Royal Air Force decals! And it's in beautiful condition, too. I've been looking for one of these for a while.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:33 PM

In all my years with this, I don't think I have ever in real life seen one. I guess many get the wings confused with a RAF, This only comes from what I read on the net.

This K, that I wonder about, I have machines that do have made in great Britain on the arm , Then two lotuses none have K in the serial number

Boy everyone got good deals this weekend. all I got was dirty hands.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Cathy,

Congrats on your "new" machines! Have fun during your construction!

Jeanette
Old 09-16-2014, 08:00 AM

Macybaby, I am sending you a PM. Jo Ann
Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 AM

I have a question on the RAF decal-ed machines. ISMACS shows the decals were used on Singer 15's circa 1935 to 1950's.

I just bought a Singer 15 with the RAF decal set that the serial number dates to 1961. It's a 15k110 with top bed drop feed. Does this mean my machine is likely a re-do and not original? Because it's in great shape but sure looks original. Well, except for the chrome handwheel since that model should have a solid one.