Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Width for channel quilting >

Width for channel quilting

Width for channel quilting

Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Width for channel quilting

I am getting ready to quilt a pattern similar to an Irish chain, and, since I don't FMQ, I was planning to do a diagonal channel on either side of the pattern.

The channel will be just under 3" wide. My batting (QD select) allows for much wider, but I'm worried about the long space with no quilting in it. (DH thinks that from any place in the channel, it can be no more than 1 1/2" to a quilting line, so it's not an issue.)

So, does 3" sound too wide for a channel? Am I overthinking it? I spend so much time on these tops that I tend to panic when it's time to start quilting them.

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 09-15-2014, 04:36 PM

If a 3" spacing is OK for your batting I think you are technically fine. My personal preference for straight line stitching is 1" spacing. You can always make the 3" diagonal lines, then if you feel that is too sparse, go back and add another line in between for 1 1/2" spacing.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

Is it QD cotton? If so, in my opinion you should be fine with your spacing. This is because QD cotton is needlepunched, which makes it much more stable than, say, a cotton batting that is not needlepunched or a poly batting.

Edit: If you want to be absolutely sure, you could add additional cross lines here and there to break up the long channel expanses. What additional lines like this would do is reduce stress on the fabric and batting -- especially when being washed or sat on. Think, for example, how the quilt could be twisted while wet in a conventional top-loading washing machine with a central agitator. The batting inside a channel could be stressed enough to pull away from the quilting lines. This stress is greatly reduced if there are crossing lines to hold the batting in place; the quilting lines take the stress instead of the batting. But honestly, as long as you take normal care when washing the quilt and don't expect it to become an heirloom cherished by great-great-grandchildren, I think the 3" channels should be fine.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-15-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 AM

Thanks, Jeanne and Prism99, for the advice. It is indeed QD cotton. The select is beautiful stuff, but feels significantly thicker than the request, and i am worried about wedging the quilt into my 7" harp. I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to pivot. That, and the obvious diagonal design seems to shout "channel quilting" to me. So, I'll be brave and jump in. As you've pointed out, I can always add more.

hugs,
Charlotte