Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the difference in channel quilting and STID? >

What's the difference in channel quilting and STID?

What's the difference in channel quilting and STID?

Old 05-26-2015, 03:54 AM

Default What's the difference in channel quilting and STID?

I have a queen size quilt that I'm using thick polyester on, this being the my first time using polyester and I'm wanting to get it longarmed because I can't imagine having to do it on my DSM. I'm wonder exactly what to ask for.

Also someone a while back said STID was bad for your quilt. Does anybody know why? I know didn't dream it...... or did I? .....
Old 05-26-2015, 04:55 AM

From my quick google search it appears that channel quilting is quilting row upon row evenly spaced to create channels, while SITD is when you stitch in the seam between two pieces of fabric. If this is wrong, I hope someone corrects me!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 AM

I'm thought sitd was sewing on the opposite side of where the seam allowance was pressed. Not directly in the middle of where the two fabrics were sewn together.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

Allyoop is correct. Channel stitching is rows of stitching parallel to each other, often done on a LA with a locking mechanism engaged on the machine rails (called channel locks) so there is no wavering on the stitch lines.

SITD is quilting in the "ditch" formed by seams. It is not bad for your quilt to SITD. However, if seams are pressed open and the quilter stitches exactly in the ditch (as opposed to just a hair over) they are not catching any fabric on the top and only quilting over the thread used to do the piecing. The risk is that in quilting the LA needle could hit one of your seam threads dead on and break it, theoretically compromising the integrity of the piecing. However, most LA quilters will realize you have pressed your seams open and will either advise against ditching or ditch a hair over.

The difference between the two are also cost. SITD is very expensive because it is so labor intensive. Channel stitching is not. But your quilt top needs to be nice and square for channel stitching to look good. An all over pantograph, also known as an end to end (E2E) is also very economical option for quilting and if your fabrics are busy it is usually a very good choice and done with a thick polyester shows off the design very nicely.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure you would want channel stitching with fat polyester batting. SITD is usually done on the side without the seam allowance bulk as close as possible to the seam so the stitching won't show as much. That is what I was taught in the late 80s.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 AM

Tks, everybody. No, I don't want the channel quilting. I do want SITD. It's a horizontal strip quilt and the one I copied....... um, I mean used as an inspiration did it this way and it was very pretty. I can't imagine trying to get it thru my machine.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

The only time SITD could be considered 'bad' for your quilt is if you have pressed your seams open. Then the quilting would basically go over the threads that hold the patches together. In this case you would need to be very careful to sew close, but not right on the seam.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 AM

You might be wise to ask to see an example of your selected longarmers stitching in the ditch before you decide on that. Actually, it's always good to see an example of their work before agreeing to turn your quilt over, and to get the agreement in writing of course.

Several LAers that I know will do it if asked, but they hate it and aren't anywhere near as good at it as they are at other quilting methods, including custom freehand. The difficulty comes when the ditch side (low side) crosses to the other side at an intersection and the ditching is not adjusted quickly enough, or at all.

An 'inspiration quilt' that just used SITD wouldn't have any visible quilting, so make sure that's what you really want.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 PM

I know several long armers who will not do STID because it is too difficult to stay in the seams. I can certainly see that it would be since I find it difficult to STID on very small and relatively flat projects. I prefer quilting designs on big projects. froggyintexas
Old 05-26-2015, 09:26 PM

I would also ask the person doing the quilting for their input