Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Halloween costume - Interfacing for cape? >

Halloween costume - Interfacing for cape?

Halloween costume - Interfacing for cape?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Halloween costume - Interfacing for cape?

My list of garment sewing experience consists of one simple toddler dress and one pair of pajama pants... so, I am pretty new at it. And I've only been sewing 1.5 years... so, if anyone could give me a guiding hand I would appreciate it.

I decided to make my 1 year old daughter a Little Red Riding Hood cape for Halloween. I picked up some rayon/poly red fabric for the exterior that has a nice weight to it. For the lining I got some white cotton fabric with little red polkadots.

I was thinking it would be good to have interfacing between the two layers to help keep the darker red from showing through the white fabric, and to add a little bit of thickness/drape to make it more cloak/cape-like.

Any tips on that? Picking an interfacing is intimidating! For local availability, I have Hancock & Joanns. All of our sewing shops are focused on quilts, so they don't carry much in the way of apparel interfacing.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:18 AM

While I think you are on the right track with the interfacing, is it really going to make a difference for a 1 yr old's costume? How much is she going to be standing/walking that the drape is going to be noticed? If she's going to sitting up mostly in the costume, you might want to think about using a stiffer interfacing to give it more of a shaped appearance? We don't have Hancock's here but I know JoAnn's carries a ton of different interfacings. Sorry I can't help you with specifics on the various types as I've not done any garment sewing in decades but I'm sure the folks in the store can help. Or...check out the pattern section of either store. Look at a cape pattern and on the back of the package for supplies it should give you information as to type of interfacing needed for that particular pattern.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:55 AM

Don't waste time with interfacing, just use the two fabs...it will be cute as is!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 AM
dd

Having made lots of costumes, I wouldn't bother to interface either. But if you really want to, another layer of white cotton or use a light weight fusible interfacing. Follow the direction that come with the interfacing so it doesn't shrink when you fuse it. Especially for a child, I wouldn't bother though. Not sure how much the light weight is going to cover. Really don't think anyone is going to notice. Have fun and lets see some finished pics.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 AM

A cape needs to be soft anf flowing, interfacing will make it stiffer.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:31 PM

I had a Little Red Riding Hood costume when I was small and then passed on to my DDs. It was only one layer of fabric, and served well. The fabric reminded me of sail cloth but was very soft. Many washings maybe. WE all carried a basket for the candy and wore one of our own dresses to complete the costume. I don't think you need interfacing--it will make the cape stiff. Your little one is going to look so cute.
Sue
Old 10-23-2014, 02:10 PM

Sounds adorable! I agree with the others. Skip the interfacing and let it be soft and flowing. Since the lighter color will be the lining, it won't show that much, anyway. Above all, you want the costume to be comfortable and easy to get on/off.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 PM

I agree that interfacing isn't really necessary but if you really feel that you need it just get a soft tricot fusible. Its soft and will drape nicely but gives a bit of body.

I make a lot of costumes (mostly for dogs lol) and I'll give you a hint. Next time buy some of the synthetic felt and make it out of that. One layer, no hemming, no lining, no binding seams. Just cut it out and sew it up. I do it all the time. They're cute as anything and usually look better in the end. If you want to embellish, you can just glue of fuse stuff on. It's so much easier.