Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions? >

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Old 10-26-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Suggestions?

Hi everyone, I started quilting about 13/14 years ago with my mom. Collecting the fabric was so much fun. I have enough for a life time and then some. My problem is I've lost interest. I haven't done much of anything for two maybe three years. I keep on telling myself to get back into it, but I just don't. I know there are some people that have had dry spells, but for this long. I have way to much fabric to stop. I would love to know how to machine quilt, I see all the gorgeous quilts and I think why bother. A person makes a quilt but you can't afford to have it quilted. I have bought a lot of how to classes on Craftsy and watch a little but get tired and quit. How long did it take the ladies and gentleman in this group to learn how to machine quilt and do it well? Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can get motivated again? Please help!
Old 10-26-2014, 06:32 PM

I haven't learned to machine quilt as yet so no help there. As for getting motivated again maybe looking up a local quilting guild in your area and joining might just be the ticket. I'm sure there are lots of ladies in the guild that would be happy to share with you and you might just make some really good friends. I have found that quilters are the best people in the world. Hope this inspires you.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:34 PM

I hadn't worked on quilts in ten years. Sent all my fabric to my mother. Then I had time again but couldn't get motivated. I started taking classes at my LQS and haven't stopped since. The commaderie we have motivates me. I've been going strong for 6 months. Have finished 5 quilt tops. My mom is a longarmer so that helps too. She still makes me pay her though
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 PM

Have you tried quilting with your walking foot? It is so easy, straight lines or gentle curves, and the quilts look great without a lot of time. I haven't spent the time to learn to FMQ because I am happy using the walking foot.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Hi Dreaming, Seems like we are in the same boat. I really really sympathize with you. I feel stuck in the UFO universe. Wish I could inspire you. Posted this so that you know that you are not alone. Maybe we need to start a "kick in the pants club"?????
Old 10-26-2014, 06:52 PM

Find a cause. I make bags for beads of courage.org When I am quilted out I make bags for kids with cancer or other serious illnesses
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 PM

Hey, welcome to the SABLE Club (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy)!! I made my first quilt about 7 years ago and bought a longarm 9 months after that - my favorite part is the longarm, so I really can't help you on the FMQ with a DSM. The straight line quilting that is easier on a DSM looks lovely. If you want to learn FMQ, you should check out Leah Day - she has 365 different designs that she has videos for that she walks/talks you through making that design. To get motivated again, I would suggest that you find a bee group that meets every week for sewing and friendship! Having 6 or so ladies to meet with every week where you can encourage each other and really become friends...priceless!! Had a group like that when I was in Florida...so wonderful that I am still a member of the group even though I am back home in Washington - can't beat Vit. F!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:24 PM

My enthusiasm for machine quilting sparked when I finally found a batting that made it easier to maneuver the quilt sandwich under the harp.
Old 10-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Before I got my longarm, I used decorative stitches in straight lines with my walking foot on my quilts. Finished lots this way!

You may also be overwhelmed by the fabric ... do you have it sorted nicely into projects or colourways? Is it easy to see / find what you want to work with? Maybe a step to pique your interest is working with your stash a bit to 'find' groupings you want to put together into a quilt?

I also agree with the posters suggesting to find a guild or group or cause - working with others who are passionate and enthusiastic is wonderful!
Old 10-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

I started machine quilting on my own. I didn't try to be as good as anyone. I did it the way it worked for me. My first quilts were messy with tucks and puckers but that didn't discourage me. I learned about thread and needle size by trial and error not by a book or class. The only way to improve your machine quilting is to do it. Let the bad work be bad work and just keep on going.