Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions? >

Suggestions?

Suggestions?

Old 10-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Are we twins, separated at birth and maybe a few years, too? Your post expresses exactly how I feel about quilting!

For me, the best thing about making a quilt is seeing a kid fall in love with one. It doesn't even have to be one I made; I just love to see a quilt find it's "perfect beholder".
Old 10-28-2014, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I had the same problem a while back. It was just too frustrating to work so hard on piecing and the not be physically able to machine quilt on my domestic machine. (Too many back injuries) so, for a while I made nothing, and suffered guilt over all the fabric not being used. My solution was to find a way to be able to quilt them myself, and still have some fun. The answer came late one night when I could not sleep. quilt as you go! I watched probably hundreds of YouTube videos until I had found a method that I could manage, and a result I could be happy with. Now I am experimenting with all kinds of patterns for QAG. Applique, panels, as well as piecing. I think I have found my niche. I know you will find yours.
I relate with you on this Madam, I have had 6 back surgeries so it takes a lot out of me just to piece for an hour or so, then to start thinking about quilting on DSM with all the pushing & pulling threw the harp with the twists & turn to just SID I find I put it off more & more, but I wont let myself start anything new until I finish the current project. I am pushing myself too hard now with trying to make a quilt for all 6 kids.....and all the while thinking about all the DGK quilts next. So it's QAYG for me until I can get the very old Tin Lizzie I bought put together and running & that too has me scared. It's like any excuse to not do something UGH>
Old 10-28-2014, 10:05 PM

Why don't you take a class from your local quilt store? Maybe you could refold your fabric using the ruler method (unless you have already have). Getting reacquainted with your beautiful fabric might be the inspiration you need.

Last edited by My time; 10-28-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:29 AM

Hi Dreaming -- The same thing happened to me several years ago after my husband became very ill with pancreatitis. He survived better than I did, I think! At the time, I became severely depressed and it took me a few years to overcome that. The depression really did a number on me and I am so thankful that today, I am well and happy again! So perhaps you have a medical issue that needs to be addressed. In any case, I am now retired from fulltime work and am enjoying quilting again. I started by listing all my UFOs and have been completing them (as well as other gifts or items that have been requested by family and friends). When I wasn't well, I thought perhaps I would never get back to quilting, but I am glad to say that is NOT the case. I am enjoying quilting so very much these days. And I have made a decision that if I don't particularly want to complete a project I started earlier, I will gift it to someone else in my quilt group or donate it to a thrift store. I will only work on those projects that I really want to work on.

I hope you can find what the problem is and get back to enjoying sewing and quilting. But if you decide that it is no longer something you want to do, that's fine, too. It's your life and you must do what is good for you and what makes you happy! Since you have all that fabric and have an interest in quilting, perhaps you can start by just practicing free motion or walking foot quilting on your DSM. I do that myself because I cannot afford to send quilts out to be completed. There are some excellent tutorials on the internet/you tube to help with suggestions for methods of quilting on your DSM. I have learned so much from this free information and also I have learned so much from posters on this board. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from reading and researching on the internet!

I wish you the very best and hope that you can find whatever it is that makes you feel best!

Blessings,
Barbara
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
Find a cause. I make bags for beads of courage.org When I am quilted out I make bags for kids with cancer or other serious illnesses
^^^^This!!