Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding cut on the bias a must? >

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Binding cut on the bias a must?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:43 PM

Default Binding cut on the bias a must?

I am thinking of trimming the edge of a baby quilt in gentle curves. If it is shallow, must I use binding cut on the bias?
Old 11-10-2014, 06:58 PM

I think you would find it difficult to bind a quilt with gentle curves with anything but bias cut binding. Just be mindful of not stretching it and it should turn out just fine.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:04 PM

I agree with Terri D. You need to have a "little give" in the binding fabric for the curves.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:21 PM

Yes I think you need to use bias binding for sure so it will bend around the curves.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

I think you will need bias. Trying to use straight grain on curves starts out fine but it start to make a ripple in the binding and it kind of rolls until the binding gets all wonky.
I have used straight of grain binding on a straight quilt edge and switched to about 10 inches of bias binding on all 4 corners for rounded corners. The binding was dark so it didn't show the seams where I attached the straight binding to the bias at each corner.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM

I haven't tried this on a quilt, but when I make 10" diameter round potholders, I find that straight of grain works better for me than bias binding. I experimented with both and never expected that straight of grain would be better, but it was.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Yes. I only use bias binding on quilts but definitely on anything with any amount of curve.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Cutting bias strips isn't that scary. You don't need to sew a tube and draw lines, then cut on the lines. Just cut a 45 degree line, fold the raw edges together, then cut your 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" strips from that edge. Sew the strips together on a diagonal -- like you would non-bias strips. No need to stress about bias strips. If you went to your local quilt shop, they may even cut the strips for you. We will do that for customers where I work.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Cutting bias strips isn't that scary. You don't need to sew a tube and draw lines, then cut on the lines. Just cut a 45 degree line, fold the raw edges together, then cut your 2 1/2" or 2 1/4" strips from that edge. Sew the strips together on a diagonal -- like you would non-bias strips. No need to stress about bias strips. If you went to your local quilt shop, they may even cut the strips for you. We will do that for customers where I work.
I agree...it isn't scary. I don't sew the tube either. I use Bonnie Hunter's method. When you make the 45 degree cut, you take that piece and sew it to the other side of the rectangle. See pics on the link below.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...-bindings.html
Old 11-11-2014, 04:08 AM

My advice is to find a method of making bias binding and just learn to make it as your results will be so much better. I finally mastered this technique and can now make enough binding for a King sized quilt in about an hour. I tried many methods before I found this one which finally made perfect sense to me. That twisted tube of fabric always confused me until I found this tutorial.

http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/cbt/