Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
FW Bobbins/Bobbin Case Question >

FW Bobbins/Bobbin Case Question

FW Bobbins/Bobbin Case Question

Old 11-17-2014, 07:44 AM

Default FW Bobbins/Bobbin Case Question

Good snowy morning y'all. It is snowing and sticking here in Tennessee today, so I guess I can sit at the computer and find some answers to a coupla puzzling things in my world right now.

The DH has spent the last week working on (and getting it up and going from "stuck tight and not moving") on my sister's FW, which I noticed by the little gold banded emblem, it must be a Centennial. Lucky girl, she doesn't even know what she has. But what she doesn't have for it, is the bobbin case. I gave some thought to giving her one of mine, but after searching high and low on ebay and other sites, maybe I won't. I figured we could order one, just put one of mine in hers, order one to put in my pirated FW, but not for $45 and up and it looks like those are the after-market cases that you have all warned me they don't fit or work.....

But, again, if we give her machine back with no bobbin case and tell her to go on the internet and find one, she will order the first one she runs up on, and here she'll come back with the machine messed up. She is a sewer, and that is all, in that she will learn the correct threading, etc., but sitting and figuring things out on her machine, no, she doesn't do that. She just sews.....

So, advise me, y'all. What should I do?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:46 AM

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention, this FW is one of two that she has and she has been happy switching bobbin cases back and forth between them; because she can't use both of them at once, DUH>
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

I would just keep watching Ebay for an original bobbin case. Yes they can get pricey but they are a necessary part for the machine. Sometimes you can get lucky. I bought a case and 10 bobbins for $32 a few years ago from someone who didn't know what they had.

Cari
Old 11-17-2014, 10:56 AM

If she's happy sharing one bobbin case with two machines, I wouldn't worry about buying another.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Just my opinion, might be guy thing, but I'd search out a replacement bobbin case and get it all set up to run. Switching back and forth is a bit frustrating to me.

Joe
Old 11-17-2014, 01:47 PM

I figured you would feel that way, Joe. That's why I am agonizing over this little thing that probably wouldn't even cross the mind of a repair person (not my husband, he never even knew it needed a bobbin case when he first started working on the machine). I am going to use Cari's advice and search ebay every day until I find one that is the right one. And in the meantime, when the sister comes over to pick up her machine, she can go home with one of mine, because I have more FWs than I can ever use in one sitting, even if I am teaching a class. Some of the folks who come over for lessons prefer the new looking machines, and one or two of them bring their own machines.

Thanks for worrying with me. Joe, getting it all set up to run was what sent me on this search in the first place. Do it right if you're going to do it at all, huh?
Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 PM

JoAnn,

I agree with Joe. It would irritate me to the point I'd want to spit, if I had to change out bobbin cases every time I changed machines! JMHO! I have seen some pretty good deals on ebay -- you just have to shop around the site and it is frustrating, I'll grant you that! Good luck! If I happen to see anything while I'm cruising through the site, I'll send you a pm, okay?

Jeanette
Old 11-17-2014, 03:31 PM
sap

If I had to swap bobbin cases one of the FW wouldn't get used. That's enough to make a saint sware! (sp)
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Do the reproduction cases definitely not work, or is it a particular brand, luck of the draw, etc?
Ila
Old 11-17-2014, 08:25 PM

From what I have read there are two different FW bobbin cases. They fit the two different hook assemblies. One of the two bobbin cases will, or is said to, fit both hook assemblies. The other is unique to it's specific hook.

Then there is the quality factor. It varies a lot in the Chinese made aftermarket bobbin cases.

Here is a blog article from June 2012 Nova Montgomery: { http://www.novamontgomery.com/singer...m/#Bobbincases }
Look down to the article on reproduction bobbin cases.

Joe