Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Bobbin Case/Bobbins for 306K Part 2 >

Bobbin Case/Bobbins for 306K Part 2

Bobbin Case/Bobbins for 306K Part 2

Old 11-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Bobbin Case/Bobbins for 306K Part 2

I recently posted here Bobbin case for 306K about a 306K that was gifted to my granddaughter. She lost the bobbin case, so I am helping her get the machine where she can use it. I purchased the correct size needles and bobbin case #105032. The bobbins that came with the machine (they look like the class 66 bobbins that I have) did not work in the bobbin area, so I purchased #55623S L type bobbins. They work fine in the bobbin area, and will fit on the shaft to wind the bobbin. However, the finger that fits down into the bobbin when winding is so tight that the winder will not turn. Any other options on bobbins? I am at a loss to know what to do next, unless she winds her bobbins on another machine?

P.S. I have a parts list for 306W and it calls for a 55623 bobbin.

Last edited by BettyM; 11-15-2019 at 06:51 AM. Reason: add P.S.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:28 AM

Update: We discovered that we did have three bobbins among the class 66 bobbins that work with the 306K. They are just a tad taller (wider? - more space between the two sides of the bobbin) than the new L type bobbins that I bought. So they fit nicely in the bobbin area and on the bobbin winder!!
Old 11-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Great! Thank you. I have heard that the modern are just a tad narrower. It seems like some have ground off a bit of the bobbin winder lever to fit between. Another option might be to wind bobbins on a stand-alone bobbin winder (Sidewinder) since the new "L" will work in bobbin case.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:11 AM

Thank you, Janey, My husband said that grinding down the bobbin winder lever would be something he could do. I also thought of the stand-alone bobbin winder. I can wind the bobbins on my Featherweight, so that would be an option, too. I don't know if they could be wound on other Singers, or not, but it did work on my Featherweight. So we are in business! And my granddaughter took her machine home yesterday and can use it to make her quilt she is working on.