Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer Queen Anne No. 40 cabinet: rusty parts inside >

Singer Queen Anne No. 40 cabinet: rusty parts inside

Singer Queen Anne No. 40 cabinet: rusty parts inside

Old 11-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Default Singer Queen Anne No. 40 cabinet: rusty parts inside

Hi!

I have a question regarding a Singer Queen Anne No. 40 cabinet: any advice on how to clean the dirty, rusty interior metal parts, springs, etc?? Would like to put my 201 in it; working on cleaning the outside, it’s a little rough. Not restoring, just want it clean and usable. I’m not sure if general “how to remove rust” advice found on the internet is safe. Should I attempt to remove the parts I can to clean, maybe one at a time? Or clean them as best I can while they are in place? Or just vacuum the heck out of it and call it finished? Thanks so much!

Dar
Old 11-17-2019, 09:08 AM

steel to wood screws can do a lot if wiggeling in a generation or two. If you are not restoring I would clean in place and oil all the joints.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Thank you, that sounds easy enough. But I don’t know what to use to clean in place... are you saying a thorough vacuuming? Something liquid and a brush? Also what type of oil would you recommend? I honestly have no idea how to start other than I’m about to vacuum in there... so totally a newbie on anything metal....
Old 11-17-2019, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DarW View Post
Thank you, that sounds easy enough. But I don’t know what to use to clean in place... are you saying a thorough vacuuming? Something liquid and a brush? Also what type of oil would you recommend? I honestly have no idea how to start other than I’m about to vacuum in there... so totally a newbie on anything metal....
Polish off the rust with some 0000 steel wool. Then with the same size, clean steel wool go over the metal parts with metal polish and dry them with a soft cloth. You can oil movable cabinet parts with 3 in 1 oil, but don't use it on the sewing machine.