Santa came early!

Old 12-06-2014, 07:51 PM

Default Santa came early!

We have a local handyman here in my neighborhood, that I have helped out a few times, hired him a few more, etc. Tonight he came by and asked if he could bring in a Christmas present for me. Naturally I said sure. He told me to go sit at my sewing machine and close my eyes. I waited impatiently ( gifts yay!) I heard a few grunts, and few bad words, and several thumps. When he said open your eyes, I could not believe it! It is a White Rotary sewing machine in a cabinet! Best part is, it is the same machine I had in my first apartment! I am over the moon thrilled! It has no foot feed, it has a knee pedal, so I will have to get used to using one again, also will need to be rewired, cleaned, oiled, the attachments gone through and figured out. My first one was just the machine, no attachments. So far I don't see anything missing at all, just several pounds of icky shmutz all over. After Christmas I will be very busy get it up and running! The serial number is 39X8504 in case anyone knows anything about these machines.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 08:56 PM

This is a great-looking machine and my favorite of the White rotaries. Grats and I hope Santa stops by my place too.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Banned

Congrats on your early present. I love that cabinet, very pretty.

Cari
Old 12-06-2014, 09:14 PM

Merry Christmas! i don't know anything other than he's a great handyman and you are a very lucky girl!
Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM

What a pretty little machine and cabinet!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:31 PM

What a sweetheart to bring the machine to you. You will have to show us again after you have time to do all that you have planned.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:53 PM

Congratulations on your early Christmas present - what a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:16 PM

What a nice thing of him to do. It looks great. Lucky lady!

Leslie
Old 12-07-2014, 02:39 AM

I love my White Rotary! Yours here is a bit newer but still has the the awesome tension dial which was later changed. If you are more into treadles, this would be the one to switch over. I don't say 'convert' because the style really didn't change (at least as far as I can see) and appears White just stuck a motor on with a few changes necessary to drive the wheel. I have this model, I think, up in my attic I want to bring down and check over. Mildred, my White Treadle is really consistent but that may be because she never sat idle in her 103 years. For straight or wavy line quilting she is awesome. One does not do anything different than regular sewing except make a longer stitch length and just a wee turn of the foot tension. Changing the foot tension is the only close-to-complex thing on the machine. It has to be down in a certain sequence in relation to something else but have not committed that to memory. In fact, I have been doing some QAYG squares without even changing it from when I pieced the blocks and they look perfect. When I do this, instead of consulting the directions, I have to move the tension knob just a wee teeny bit. Wow. What a gift! You are going to love being back with an old friend. Oh, and I really like the handles on the cabinet. Gorgeous!

Last edited by yobrosew; 12-07-2014 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:17 AM

You've been a very good girl by the looks of what Santa brought (and early too)! Interesting comment from yobrosew about the White treadle machine never having sat idle in her 103 years! Fantastic and mind boggling to think of all those owners and projects. Your new machine & cabinet don't look shmutzy from your first photo at all. Just beautiful!