Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
shrinkage >

shrinkage

shrinkage

Old 12-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Default shrinkage

I have measured hundreds of pieces of fabric before and after washing them.

I started to measure after I noticed some cat print fabrics that I wanted to sell were measuring less than 36 inches long - and I knew that I had purchased yard cuts!!!

from my experience with 100% cottons that would generally be considered "'quality' quilting cottons"

1) some do not shrink at all (very few)

2) the majority seemed to shrink more lengthwise OR crosswise ( i have noted up to three inches crosswise)

3) a few shrank equally in both directions

4) maybe one in a hundred increased a bit in size

the most shrinkage I have seen was where a 5x5 charm reduced to a 4.5x5 charm.

some of the more expensive lines shrank just as much or more than some of the less expensive lines
Old 12-07-2014, 08:58 AM

Cotton fabric shrinks it always has I just do not understand when people (quilters) are surprised when fabric shrinks.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure how you measure the fabric after washing. Did you press it before measuring??? It is well know that you are NOT suppose to pre-wash any precut fabric.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am not sure how you measure the fabric after washing. Did you press it before measuring??? It is well know that you are NOT suppose to pre-wash any precut fabric.
I've read this several times on the QB and still wonder if this affects the finished product? E.G. a lap quilt made of charms or strips....wouldn't they shrink when finally washed in the quilt and distort it? Or is the quilting process supposed to stabilize it? TIA!
Old 12-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I measured the fabric after washing it the same way I measured it before washing it. with a yardstick or ruler.

what people choose to do - or not to do - is up to them. just sharing my observations.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
I've read this several times on the QB and still wonder if this affects the finished product? E.G. a lap quilt made of charms or strips....wouldn't they shrink when finally washed in the quilt and distort it? Or is the quilting process supposed to stabilize it? TIA!
prism99 (and others) has stated many times that this is what she believes/does.

I am not willing to try it.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

Hello Bear. I have never pre-washed fabric, and have not measured my quilts after washing, but I am thinking about trying it. There is one in the wash just now and I am interested in seeing if there is a difference.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
Batting and quilting controls most of the shrinkage in a quilt. I have never prewashed, nor has my aunt that quilts and none of our quilts are distorted in any way. I have a quilt my aunt gave me 16 years ago that look great still. People even mix washed and prewashed together with no problems. Also cotton shrinks more over time so you will still get some shrinkage even if you prewash. Washing to me is more if you are worried about fabrics bleeding than shrinking.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Even when fabric is prewashed a finished quilt ( might) shrink some too, there are lots of factors involved with if or how much a finished quilt shrinks. The backing, the quilt top (design/ technique plays into it too) the batting, and the amount/ type of quilting all play a role. So, don't think because you prewashed it will not shrink again, and on the other side, if you do not prewash your quilt might not shrink.... Many people make wonderful quilts, without prewashing and they are fine after being laundered too. Many choose to always prewash, then get upset when their finished quilt shrinks some ( cotton always shrinks, think of those favorite Levi's, shrink, get tight when laundered, loosen back up with wear- so will cotton quilts) some people choose to prewash because the fabric has an odor, or feels stiff, without considering shrinkage.... It really doesn't seem to matter much what you choose to do. I know people who will wash flannels 3 or 4 times before using them ( and then complain when they pill, or are worn out) and people who make wonderful flannel quilts without prewashing that handle laundering fine when finished. I usually tell people, don't sweat the small stuff, if you feel you have to prewash- knock yourself out- if you don't feel you need to, don't bother, either way your quilts will be fine, as long as your seams are secure and you quilt the required amount for the batting you are using.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Good post, ckcowl! Balanced and informative. Thanks! Actually, I think the quilts that I made before the prewash days turned out better than the ones I stress out so much over now!