Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinion please..and thoughts >

opinion please..and thoughts

opinion please..and thoughts

Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM
shy

Default opinion please..and thoughts

I am making a tee shirt quilt for senior graduation..her colors are grey royal blue..black..should say school colors..I have all her tee shirts and have made 5_6 other ones..so that isn't new to me..my problem is I have 4 different size tee shirts..as my gg is very small she has extra small to extra large shirts..which leaves me with 17x 17 pieces..to 14x14 pieces..I could not cut them bigger or for the bigger ones smaller without ruining the designs..or with the small ones..not enough material..my thought was to take the biggest size then put a marble grey strip around all the others..so all of them would be one size block when done..then put them in rows..what worries me is..Since they are all different size the blocks will match up..but the tee shirts will not be in straight lines..no matter how I arrange them..do u think it will throw the whole quilt off to look at..I thought I would ask..Before just doing..like I usually do..also thought of just sewing them on material at odd angles..I have a poke a dot print of all the right colors to set the quilt off with it as a border..any ideas are welcome...thanks to all who answer.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:42 AM

Could you use other parts of the tee shirt of the smaller ones to make the blocks larger?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:54 AM

You could do just about anything. Just add coping strips to bring the final layout together. I would play on a design wall after you cut the shirts out and see what layout of the shirts looks good then work into the sizes you need to put it all together.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I would go into advance search and see if you can see the layouts that other members have made and posted photos. I have been pleased with how others have dealt with different sizes of t-shirts.

Examples:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t205021.html
scroll down and see linbails quilt

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...p-t255951.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t255581.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t257518.html
Old 01-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Maybe adding a strip of pinwheels or squares to one side of the smaller shirts to enlarge the smaller ones. You could alter the sides so they are not all leaning to one side.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:34 PM

I added different sized borders to each tee shirt to make them all the same size. Then I used a wiggly stripe fabric as sashing to help tie the different colors shirts together. It might help to draw out on paper the different sizes you have and then figure what the largest is, to help figure how much you need to add for borders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505146[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc05617.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM

I made one several years ago. I had the same problem, so I solved it this way: I used a medium color sashing, all the same width. Then, for the blocks that were smaller, I framed them in a dark fabric to make them the same size as the others. It's very similar to what katier825 did, except my sashing was narrower. I had 25 t shirts, and made a king size quilt. I loved the way it turned out.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:42 PM

I personally really like your idea of plastering (i.e. applique???) them to a piece of fabric of consistent size and arranging them at odd angles. I'm assuming this is for a HS graduation? and a young lady? If that is the case then I think she would be thrilled with that look.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Here is one that I made using a 20 in width blocks because I wanted to two bandanna she had so I had to add pieces from other shirts to some of the blocks to made them all the same width. The blocks varied in length as I intentionally so I could stagger my sashing strips and had a lot of t-shirts to us.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505179[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails julie_s_t_shirt_quilt.jpg  
Old 01-07-2015, 09:20 PM

I had a similar problem with a T-shirt quilt for my husband. 1 'block' was about 17", all others were smaller. I added strips around the smaller pieces to make them all the same size. Strips around the t-shirt blocks were all different sizes but the blocks all came to the same size. Then did sashing & cornerstones between the blocks.