Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips when using Wool Blankets for Batting >

Tips when using Wool Blankets for Batting

Tips when using Wool Blankets for Batting

Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Tips when using Wool Blankets for Batting

I am making a quilt for my mom. She has a quilt of my great-grandmothers that she keeps on her bed year round (Although it is folded during the summer). I have tried repairing the quilt in the past - but with the constant usage, I'm not accomplishing much. So I think if I can make her another one of similar weight - she can substitute the new quilt on her bed and display (carefully) the older quilt.

This is brings me to my current dilemma since I have never used wool blankets before.

They live near near an army base, so I know I can get Army wool blankets. Is this the best ones to use?

I read that many of you recommend washing them first.

I also read one recommendation to take it to be LAQ. Would this be something most quilt shops could handle or will I need to find a special quilt shop?

I do not plan on quilting this myself.

Do you have any other tips on using a wool blanket for a quilt?

Kind regards,
Tracy
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I would contact long arm quilters before you purchase the blanket to see if any of them will tackle it.
I made one quilt using a 100% wool blanket, but not an army blanket. The blanket I used was much softer than the WWII surplus wool blankets that I grew up with, but the newer ones may be different. Make sure that it is laundered so it doesn't shrink, or run. The quilt itself came out much stiffer than if I had used batting, but it was OK.
I guess I'm curious as to why you want to use a blanket vs. a batt, or does the one your mom currently uses have a blanket instead of a batt.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM

I guess I am not understanding what you want to do with the wool blanket. Use it as batting? Why? Just to make the new quilt the same weight as the other? Is 66"x 84" sufficient size for the batting (That is the size I see for 'wool army blankets)?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:48 PM

Lakekids - yes, I want to use a wool blanket for batting. The quilt she has only lays on the top of a queen sized bed with no drape. So I think the size will be sufficient.

PaperPrincess - The quilt of my mom's has a wool blanket used for the batting. I couldn't find a modern batting with the same weight - so I want to use a wool blanket similar to the original quilt. It's very important that the new quilt have a similar weight. Can I ask where you purchased your blanket? Did you use any other layers? Was the blanket scratchy through the quilting cottons? How did you quilt yours?

Thank you for the responses!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

To me the best use of those scratchy wool army blankets is as batting... That way you don't have to feel it. once it is inside the cotton fabrics protect against the scratchy wool- won't even know its there, except for the great weight.
Wash and dry the blanket first, then use like any batting. It needles nicely, not difficult to quilt at all. Choose a large, loose quilting design, not a heavily quilted dense design. My mom used to make denim patchwork quilts with those blankets for batting- talk about heavy, warm quilts! I have ( long arm quilted) quite a few quilts with wool blanket battings. My brother's love them.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
To me the best use of those scratchy wool army blankets is as batting... That way you don't have to feel it. once it is inside the cotton fabrics protect against the scratchy wool- won't even know its there, except for the great weight.
Wash and dry the blanket first, then use like any batting. It needles nicely, not difficult to quilt at all. Choose a large, loose quilting design, not a heavily quilted dense design. My mom used to make denim patchwork quilts with those blankets for batting- talk about heavy, warm quilts! I have ( long arm quilted) quite a few quilts with wool blanket battings. My brother's love them.
Thanks for the information! Glad to know it's doable!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 04:51 PM

Yes, ckcowl, Thanks. I would never have thought of it.
I like a heavy comforter - and they are good for restless leg syndrome.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

I think you have received your answer already, but since you asked, I found a 100% wool blanket, imported from England, at a thrift shop. It had some wear on the satin binding & a few discolored areas. I've been going to thrift stores for years and this is the only one I've ever seen. I was in my experimental batting phase, so I thought I'd try it.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I think you have received your answer already, but since you asked, I found a 100% wool blanket, imported from England, at a thrift shop. It had some wear on the satin binding & a few discolored areas. I've been going to thrift stores for years and this is the only one I've ever seen. I was in my experimental batting phase, so I thought I'd try it.
Thank you so much for the answer! I'll look for something similar online. I never get a chance to go by thrift shops.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:18 PM

If you can get the Army wool blankets...that is a great deal! I wish I could! Wool is a nice weight and warm for our cold winters in MN.