Cast Iron

Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM
KLO

Default Cast Iron

I know this probably belongs in a different thread but you guys and gals are so knowledge about all things "iron" and old that I thought I would ask this here and hope that I get an answer (or many) before it gets deleted. So, I want to buy a cast iron 10" frying pan and a 5 QT. dutch oven but there are so many makes/models and reviews are sometimes all over the place so my brain is starting to melt down on the subject. I know the older cast iron is better but how do I know if something is older unless told so and are they believable? Anyone recommend a particular brand(s) that will not force me to sell my first born to buy it? Le Creuset is suppose to be very good but I would have to sell two of my children to buy one of them .... and I want two? Okay you guys/gals, let's hear it from the cast iron users. Thanks if you can help!

I probably need to start checking the charity shops and the "antique" stores that are not high end.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:29 PM

No idea. My feeling is Le Creuset is awesome for enameled cast iron but Lodge makes good stuff for the plain ole-plain ole. I wouldn't know the difference between new or old so far as buying at a thrift. Did they mean old as in the ironis better? I would think it all the same but an older one that is already "seasoned" would be great!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM

I have admired the Le Creuset for years but resisted my husbands willingness to buy a Dutch Oven for me due to the price; i just couldn't justify spending that much money on a single pan. Well - fast forward a few years and my husband purchased that Dutch Oven for Christmas and I am shocked. Not only does it heat much quicker, but the pan retains heat far better than regular cast iron. In addition, cleanup is AMAZING!! Nothing requires more than soap and water to clean with minimal elbow greese. Since Christmas I have also replaced a grill/griddle and I am currently eying a frying pan. I know you said money was the issue but I do encourage you to purchase one Le Creuset when you can.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

The thing about the LeCreuset as fabulous as it is, is its very heavy especially filled with food. If you don't have anyone to help you lift or can't do it yourself - just a consideration
Old 03-14-2015, 03:08 PM

My only suggestion is to watch GW auctions, or go to places like Farm and Home or Big R stores and buy U.S.A. made products only.

We have many cast iron cooking skillets, pots, and griddles, different names and vintages but all are American made and they're all good.

Joe
Old 03-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Believe it not Walmart sells a decent cast iron brand. I forget what it is but we have one pan that DH loves for particular dishes he likes to make. I also have 2 cast iron 'loaf pans'. Brand is Old Mountain. DH bought them online a couple of years ago. I use them primarily for cooking diced potatoes (with butter; garlic; onions) on the grill. Previously used foil pans for this and the cast iron one work MUCH better. If I'm doing a really large batch of those I will still use a foil pan but when it's just the 2 of us, this works far better.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:12 PM

Just remember that they do break. Son was trained as a chef and would not consider anything but Le Creuset. He has broken two. I have always though Lodge is the best, but about 10 years ago saw a box of skillets being opened and put out for display at a hardware store. About 3 of them were cracked like eggs where they were nested together. I have two lodge dutch ovens that I keep saying I will get rid of because of weight, but each time I use one, I praise it. In my family, a good cast iron skillet is considered a family heirloom to be passed down through the generations.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:27 PM

2 vintage brands to look for are Griswold and Wagner. Griswold is probably most popular with collectors. The old cast iron skillets were polished finer than new ones and may be a bit thinner. I've been told the fine versus rough finish isn't a big deal but can't tell you for sure. Personally I prefer the fine polish of the old ones. If nothing else at least they cared enough to do it. You're not likely to see much cast iron in the thrifts these days. It does turn up in garage and estate sales occasionally and there's usually at least one vendor at any antique mall that specializes in it. More common skillets and such shouldn't be too painful pricewise.
There are plenty of how-tos for seasoning cast iron on the internet. A well seasoned cast iron pan cooks as well or better than a good non-stick pan. A look at past ebay auctions should give an idea of prices. I haven't bought any in years and can't say what a fair price is.
Rodney

Edit due to fat fingered typist.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Banned

I love my Lodge pans, wouldn't know how to cook without them. I detest enameled or nonstick pans, I only use cast iron or stainless steel.

Cari
Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM

I have a Griswold, got it from my MIL about 35 40 years ago! It is the best!!