Cast Iron

Old 03-14-2015, 04:49 PM

I recommend "Lodge" cast iron - love it. If it isn't already seasoned by the manufacturer, it isn't hard to season the cookware. I have one kettle that is Martha Stewart's brand but totally hate it.

Sam's Club typically carries a camping set that includes several skillets and a dutch oven during the spring-summer months and the cost is very, very reasonable and usually can be located in the camping supply aisle. Also, I'd check at WalMart in the Outdoor/Camping or Kitchenware areas.

One tip: never cook acidic food in the ironware, use your stainless steel for tomato sauces.

I converted to using cast iron about 15 years ago.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Banned

We converted to cast iron as well. We use the enameled cast iron for tomato items.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513640[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20150314_204407.jpg  
Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 PM

I love my Le Creuset. I have 3 of them but I did not pay full price for any of them. I got them in a store called Winners which is like Marshalls or TJ Maxx. They cook stews and soups so nicely but yes they are heavy..
Old 03-14-2015, 08:05 PM
Banned

ours were almost all purchased for $20 or less each at flea markets. Just like these machines, they clean up fine.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
The thing about the LeCreuset as fabulous as it is, is its very heavy especially filled with food. If you don't have anyone to help you lift or can't do it yourself - just a consideration
- I now have a total electric house and the few pcs of Le Creuset seem to stick on the elec. burners but my my Great Gramma's Griswold's do just fine. And yes they seem to have gotten heavier through the years. A strange phenomenon lol
Old 03-15-2015, 05:38 AM
KLO

Wow, thanks everyone for all the responses. I do covet the Le Creusets but have mostly been looking at the Lodge at the moment mostly due to price. I have seen stories about them breaking. I do wonder how that camping set can be so low in price. Are those pans made of a lesser cast iron than others? DH says we sent all our old cast iron heating units overseas and they are now coming back to us as pots and pans except that they are combined with lesser materials before manufacturing the pans. (Hey, SteveH or Rodney, do you know anything about this?) I have about 5 old pieces from the family but none of them are a 12" fry pan or dutch oven which is what I am looking for. They are all small frying pans and a griddle. The hunt continues.

SteveH, speaking of coveting!!!! Nice big set of cast iron you've got there. I knew if anyone had some, it would certainly be you. I presume they are a mix of brands since you got them from here and there. I am guessing that you had to attach the hangers for the pot rack to the framing in your ceiling to hold all that weight? Geez, I even have a pot rack that we took down that I now must rethink about putting back up for the cast iron as they are hard to stack and use easily. We have an antique/junque place nearby that I am going to check out. I know you can re-season old cast iron as I have done so in the past so I would actually love to get some old pieces.

Again, thanks to all for the advice and info. DH and I love crusty bread so I am hoping to make some in a dutch oven. And I want to give pizza a go in the skillet. I already use my 8" fry pan and small square griddle as much as I can. However, I think I had better start doing some wrist and hand excersizes to build strength in them for lifting the cast iron!

Last edited by KLO; 03-15-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
My only suggestion is to watch GW auctions, or go to places like Farm and Home or Big R stores and buy U.S.A. made products only.

We have many cast iron cooking skillets, pots, and griddles, different names and vintages but all are American made and they're all good.

Joe

Yes, Joe, one of my goals is to buy American. And I really would like to get some of the older stuff. Now to find it!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:29 AM

I bought my made in the USA Lodge 12" skillet and Lodge 5-quart dutch oven at Walmart for $40 total or so for both. They sell the 10" skillet as well.

I see vintage ones at antique stores all the time, but most sellers seem to think they are made of gold.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 AM

I probably had a lemon but ....

I had a Le Crueset enamel 4.5 QT dutch oven that was gifted to me. The first time I used it .... I used it on the stove top for beef stew. When cooking was complete I lifted the pot off the stove top and heard a "craacck" and the whole bottom just fell out of the pot and all of my stew spilled out on to my stove top.

I was so shocked that this could happen that I just stood there ... frozen to that spot ... holding an empty and bottomless pot in my hands and watched 4 qts of beautiful stew spill out onto my stove top, down the front, onto the floor and onto my feet. Devastating.

No, I never contacted the company.
I replaced it with a Calphalon stew pot (not cast iron).
Old 03-15-2015, 06:47 AM

I love my Griswold skillets (have a full set) and my Le Creuset Dutch oven and 3 Qt. pan. If a person takes care of them, you will have them for a lifetime, so I feel it's an investment into good equipment. A friend picked up a cast/enamel Dutch oven at Sears on sale for $49.99 at Christmas. She is happy, so it's depends on what you like and can afford. I couldn't make candy without my 3 Qt. Le Creuset pan. I like the way it cooks.