Need info re Kenmore 158.9411

Old 06-11-2015, 04:35 PM

Default Need info re Kenmore 158.9411

After 2 days of stress got the Kenmore machine off the cabinet to find the model 158.9411 s # 0074216.
Have no manual . Can't get it to do anything but straight stitch so far. Also the mechanism under cabinet has big spring but think it is not set right and don't know how to use it. Know I sound dense but I am more familiar with
my old black Singers.
Now that I have this info I can go other sites but yahoo denied me.
Attached Thumbnails 100_0551.jpg   100_0552.jpg  

Last edited by Mornigstar; 06-11-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: to add pic
Old 06-11-2015, 05:12 PM

Gee, that machine looks like a portable to me. Maybe that's why it was hard to get out of the cabinet?

I've been trying to find a manual on the yahoo sites but no luck so far.

My 158 model had 2 knobs like yours. I forget exactly how it worked but perhaps you can get different stitches by changing the settings on those 2 knobs. Hopefully others know more.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:20 PM

I found a manual for a 1703 machine which had similar knobs. I was able to download it but can't figure out how to get it to you. It's actually on my computer, not a link. It was from the Yahoo group called "Vintage Kenmore Sew". Can you try to join that group and get the manual yourself?
Old 06-11-2015, 05:47 PM

try sears parts direct and hammermill.com. If sears does not have the manual, they will oftentimes have exploded diagrams for them which is helpful.

Last edited by ann31039; 06-11-2015 at 05:48 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-11-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
After 2 days of stress got the Kenmore machine off the cabinet to find the model 158.9411 s # 0074216.
Have no manual . Can't get it to do anything but straight stitch so far. Also the mechanism under cabinet has big spring but think it is not set right and don't know how to use it. Know I sound dense but I am more familiar with
my old black Singers.
Check that model number again to make sure you didn't transpose some numbers. The Sears Archives does not have any number anywhere near that in the 158 series. You don't need the serial number, just the first four numbers after the period. If it truely is a 158.9411, then it is a 9411. The only reference to one that I find is your post here. Have you taken the top off and oiled everything that moves?, the same with the plate underneath. That would not be much different than maintaining your old black Singers.

I don't know what you mean by big spring under the cabinet. Could it be the lift to elevate the machine head when setting it up from the closed position, or is it part of a knee operated controller?

I believe what you have is a Kenmore 158.19412 or a model 1941, and I think it is a high shank foot.

Last edited by elnan; 06-11-2015 at 06:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Here is a link to the manual. www.shopyourway.com/manuals/2247 In small red letters it will say Download the manual, click on that. It prints out to 50 pages. This manual covers models 1430, 1431, 1625, 1641, 1940, and 1941.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM

Here's story -given machine in cabinet from 90 yr old --no manual. Had to get machine unscrewed from cabinet to get at the model & serial #. which are only on bottom . Tried joining Kenmore yahoo group --denied for some reason. Yes, it is high shank , nice looking machine and will sew straight good stitches. Trying to figure out how the 2 dials work and did get an idea about a red dot from one book. Must not have them synchronized correctly yet. Naturally, I cleaned everything and oiled before I tried sewing anything. Such a nice machine that is why I am pursuing the zig zag.

Was to be given as portable to my charity with out the cabinet. The machine had 2 screws going up through the bottom holding it to the board top that then folds down inside the cabinet. In the process of finding that out we also found out that the machine is a free arm.
Machine was open set to sew when I first saw it but now wonder if the delivery men did something as the machine was pushed down part way when delivered. Hubby was careful --not to break anything he said. But he thinks that
big spring underneath that helps lower the machine is not right. Solved bolt problems by lifting machine & cabinet unto it's side across my sewing table so we could see . When machine closes , you lift it , then lift front board and machine goes down inside. Has a piece from right and left that then make it look like a table as others do.
Hope that helps you that are helping me. With many thanks.
Will go look at the posts now.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Yes, Elnan that is the manual I needed . On page 4 it shows how the machine was bolted but we didn't know and usually hubby is a bull in china shop but said this is so good he was careful . Then later in manual it shows these 2 dials for decorative stitches . I will print out some info but don't have enough ink for 50 pages. Camera program
is not co operating or I would have shown machine sitting up in cabinet then asked how to get it off.
Kenmore gal2 told me to use sd card and that worked to get these 2 pics.
Oh, and I had to oil and oil one dial before it would turn so that took time to loosen. Thanks all will tell more later but would still like to know age. it's 158. 9411 with serial # 0074216

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Here is a link to the manual. www.shopyourway.com/manuals/2247 In small red letters it will say Download the manual, click on that. It prints out to 50 pages. This manual covers models 1430, 1431, 1625, 1641, 1940, and 1941.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:39 AM

I am glad to hear you've made some progress Morningstar. I do remember the red dot from a similar machine I had. I don't remember it being so complicated to do a zig zag though, so perhaps Elnan is on to something - perhaps there is one spot that didn't get oiled and that is causing you the problems. Hopefully you can at least view all the manual pages and find the oiling diagram.

So this is a portable in a cabinet? That explains the difficulty removing it. I'm surprised there are instructions in the manual showing how to do that, I'll have to check that out after I send this. I always thought a portable was destined to remain a portable. But what do I know?

Please keep us informed. And if you get a second, I'd love to see this home made cabinet system!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Think the cabinet is a model 40 as I know that number is on the drawers. Has 2 drawers on right hand side.
Yes, portables can be fixed to go in cabinets but I am not very familiar with the process. Know that Singer and Kenmore are not interchangeable especially if it has hinges as the sizes are different.
That is the issue --as I wanted to put a different machine in this cabinet and take this machine to my charity work -kids dresses/pants . Can leave it there as it is very heavy but need the zigzag to work.

Still need the cabinet spring to work for a machine to fold inside . Cabinet not homemade-- came with machine.