Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else feel like their sewing machine hates them? >

Does anyone else feel like their sewing machine hates them?

Does anyone else feel like their sewing machine hates them?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:05 PM

Default Does anyone else feel like their sewing machine hates them?

Ugh! I traded in my Bernina 830 for a Babylock Unity a few weeks ago. Everything is running fine, then a needle breaks, I think part of it is in the machine but I can't find it. Now my thread tension is messed up and the automatic thread cutter is not working. Just frustrating because I am under a deadline to finish 2 charity quilts by the 18th and had the evening set aside to the put the binding on the one quilt. I swear I am really nice to my machines and say nice things to them but I think I must be cursed. So I am back to the quilt shop tomorrow for them to take a looksee and hoping they can figure out what the problem is on the spot
Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM

I feel your frustration. I love my Bernina 830 but the "sewing computer" that it is can be a challenge when it doesn't behave. I've pulled out the old Bernina 150 many times and was so grateful I kept it.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 PM

busting a needle can cause several problems.
The timing is now probably off (skipped stitches are a good sign)
The bobbin case might be damaged
The needle plate may now have a burr
The needle shaft might now be damaged.
As you say, a needle part may now be clogging up one thing causing other things to not work.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 AM

That happened to me when I broke a needle. My timing was off. They fixed it quickly at the shop.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 AM

I was puzzled the other day when I was on the last few inches of quilting when the needle bent. I was using a brand new walking foot with my Viking Rose and everything had been going fine up until then and everything seems to be fine after replacing the needle. I sew more slowly with the walking foot when I am not using a straight stitch as breaking a needle really scares me.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:20 AM

This is the reason I don't like titanium needles. they can do a lot of damage. just sayin
Old 07-08-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

If it isn't a quick fix, maybe they will give you a loaner machine? Just in case though, bring your quilt and binding and attach it at the store.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

My Singer 401 Slant-O-Matic is as computerized as I'm going to get for a while. Also my 2662. My neighbors husband used to be a roofer and has one of those large magnetic roller. She runs that through her sewing room and picks up broken needles every once in a while. She has a wand magnet that she scans across herself to catch any that may have flown and landed on her. She found many in her hair over the years and in her skin. She's able to get to them immediately.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I know exactly what you mean. I have a Babylock serger and we have always have had a turbulent relationship. Right now she is sitting on my dresser because somehow the bottom loopers aren't threaded. Where is the manual, missing.......
Old 07-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Needle breakage is one reason I dislike drop in bobbins. With the vertical bobbin, most of the time it drops out underneath somewhere.

I had a Rose and bought the older 1+. It had a vertical bobbin. The 1+ was a nice machine, but I missed designing my own stitches and went back to Pfaff. I have the last of the Creative 2170s also vertical bobbin.

I fought with my mother's Featherweight. As a result, you couldn't give me one.