Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The new ones for the collection >

The new ones for the collection

The new ones for the collection

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM

Default The new ones for the collection

I've been watching for a late model Howe for some time, and finally found one.

This is the Model G. I'm not sure if this style tension is earlier or later than the one with the leaf tension. It's a neat machine.

Takes a rather different shuttle - not sure how to open it though. Rather worn, but I won't ever do much sewing with this machine.

And then the new hand crank. I really wanted one with this style crank, and was happy to find this one. Unfortunalty the seller did a horrid job packing it - and I'm amazed it had such little damage for the packing. Must have been real lucky that it didn't get dropped in transit - since it had NO packing on the bottom - other than two layers of cardboard.

This machine would have been near the end of the production run (which started in the late 1800's) based on the serial number (has US in front) and that it takes a different needle (I believe this is the Free size, as this was made after Free took over). So it's from the early 1930's.

I knew that when I bought it -even though the seller listed it as from the mid 1800's. Seller said it would be double boxed, and I guess he was as able in determining age as he was in figuring out how to double box. I have not contacted the seller yet - not sure what type of adjustment to ask for. I expect there will be a way to get out the broken ends, glue the handle together and find something to put the handle back on the wheel.

My "looking for" list does not seem to get shorter though, I seem to find out about another I'd like to get to add to the list each time I check one off.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Banned

WoW! you are SO lucky on the New National!!! Those are fragile to begin with... I had one and traded it to the local Cathy since it was a 1920's production, but it was a smooth machine for the lower end of the market.

Removing the remains of the handle screw should not be TOO bad... (not fun, but...) Once you have the thread size, length, etc, let me know. If I cannot find one, I can make one.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that the Leaf tension was the later version. This Version is very similar to the Howe B tension (and shuttle)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]525869[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]525868[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-21-17.43.03.jpg   seller-pic-2.jpg  

Last edited by SteveH; 07-22-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:03 PM

WOW!! Awesome finds!!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Great finds Cathy! Centerpunch the broken ends so your bit doesn't wander then use a small sharp drill bit to drill out the remains. Sometimes if you're lucky the vibration and heat from the drill is enough to loosen up stuck threads.
If you're not happy with the handle after you try re-gluing it let me know. I'll make you a new one.
Rodney
Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 PM

What beautiful finds. So glad someone that will take good care of it owns it now.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 AM

Rodney, both broken peices came out easily. The end of the handle pin had enough roughness that DH was able to use the end of his knife and turn it out. He used one of his rather expensive "easy outs" on the end of the threaded spool pin, and it came right out too. He was very happy that was all he had to do.

DH already fashioned a spool pin for the machine, and the broken handle pin will be heading to CA for SteveH to work his magic.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
DH already fashioned a spool pin for the machine, and the broken handle pin will be heading to CA for SteveH to work his magic.

Warming up the Lathe.......
Old 07-24-2015, 05:51 PM

Beautiful machines. Lucky they found their way to someone who loves their heritage.