Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Don't have cable or want to cut cable tv? >

Don't have cable or want to cut cable tv?

Don't have cable or want to cut cable tv?

Old 08-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Default Don't have cable or want to cut cable tv?

http://www.bradsdeals.com/blog/thing...7Ccancel_cable

This is a great article about how to watch shows without cable and all the options available.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Just curious. Does one need multiple remotes? One for TV. One for apple TV. One for Roku for example?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I don't know about all of the options, but we just bought a "smart" tv (ultra-hd, although that may not make a difference in term of the smartness) and it has suddenly become very easy to watch my daughter's Netflix our Amazon prime; there are two buttons on the tv remote that make it really easy to switch to and from our cable box.

My husband just bought a universal remote that he is working on programming to make everything available on just one remote. Supposedly it works with about a thousand different combinations. When he gets home later I will ask him which remote it is (cost was about $60, I think) and how far he's gotten with it. I'm pretty sure that remote would work for including apple TV and Roku, just because they are such popular options these days.

I would love to get rid of our cable but I haven't found any way to get news channels without it. One of the few channels my dh likes to watch is Bloomberg.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:17 AM

We just bought a Smart TV and are going to cut cable. Our TV gives you a menu option for antennae TV. With the purchase an "electronic antennae" which is placed inside your house you can bring in some local channels for news, etc. The antennae is usually hung on t he wall near your TV and is flat, about 10 inches square. There are charts on the back of the box and online that will tell you what stations you will be able to get determined by where you live. My MIL pulls in around 25 stations, we pull in about 11. Prices range in my area from $45 to around $95.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 AM

We just put our DISH account on hold for $5.00 a month. This assures my dh can still watch football this fall. i think they are becoming more flexible to stay in business and you can sign up for just the channels you want to watch. We also have our own server and can download many movies and programs. Netflix account also available but it can tie up the internet for anybody trying to use the computer at the same time.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Netflix account also available but it can tie up the internet for anybody trying to use the computer at the same time.
You need a better router or a router booster. My grands watch Netflix, DH will be on his computer and I will be watching Craftsy in my sewing room. No problem with streaming all of them.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:38 AM

I have had a smart tv for over 2 yrs. and I don't have cable, dish or direct tv, I do have the Amazon fire stick, but before I got that, I had Netflix, Hulu, dropped Netflix, kept Hulu, which runs 7.99 a month, plus with You Tube and my computer I don't need anything else, the tv came with apps. on it just like a tablet (ipad), so I am able to watch what I want and not be bothered with what the cable companies want to give me.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You need a better router or a router booster. My grands watch Netflix, DH will be on his computer and I will be watching Craftsy in my sewing room. No problem with streaming all of them.
I think the problem is our "one and only" company we buy internet service from.