Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to buy fabric in Berlin or Brandenburg, Germany >

Where to buy fabric in Berlin or Brandenburg, Germany

Where to buy fabric in Berlin or Brandenburg, Germany

Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Where to buy fabric in Berlin or Brandenburg, Germany

My husband and I are going to be in Germany from 9/8/15 to 9/20/15. My DH has friends getting married and we are going to the wedding. He asked me if there was something I wanted to see. Other than the Berlin Zoo he really has the entire time planned but said if I wanted to find some fabric stores he would be happy to fit that in. I had to laugh a little because I know it won't be even close to our fabric prices here in the US but I think he wants a quilt or something to commemorate our trip. So who am I to say no?

Any recommendations are appreciated.

We are also going over to Warsaw to visit a bit but no time to shop.

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I don't know how much help this would be, but here is a website that shows locations of quilt shops in Germany:
http://www.cosman.nl/maps/map_en.php?cn=de
You can get the list in alphabetical order by city, and then you can click on the links to the different shops in that city to see where they are located.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I would check Google out to see what is available. If you are a AAA member, check with them too.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:13 PM

The one I always visited was in the outskirts near Rudow but unfortunately it has now closed down. You are correct in thinking the fabrics are mostly US at approx $30/meter Cdn.... BUT ... you may be able to find shops that sell "Westfalen" fabrics made for the traditional costumes of that area that are 100% cotton.... Also you could check with shops that sell draperies as some carry fabrics as well. Do you speak German? If you do... you can google patchwork shops in Berlin and find a few other sites to check out. There was a shop near the TV tower that was in East Berlin that sold all sorts of fabrics.... it was overwhelming but good to see.
http://www.berlinmodernquiltguild.de/

http://berlinquilter.blogspot.ca/
Old 08-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

The Westfalen fabric is actually very pretty. I got some when I visited (but not in Berlin). Check google when you get there and look for Patchwork and Stoffe (fabric). Good luck.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:51 PM

I was in Germany for three years, just got back to the states last thanksgiving. Fabric prices in Germany are triple what we buy in the states and you can buy all the fabric sold their here in the states. It's funny too I thought I could get gingher scissors cheaper in Germany, they only export. Good luck, I hope you find some deals!!!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 AM

International shops attend the same quilt market that our shops attend. Not sure that you will find many unique choices that your shops don't already have. But it will be fun to see what the local taste chooses to stock their shops with. Enjoy your trip.
sandy
Old 08-25-2015, 12:08 PM

I found the name of another shop I visited but when I try googling it nothing current comes up. But you could check out the phone book when you get there. Tausend und Eine Nacht at Damaschestrasse 33, Berlin-Schoneberg